Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

getting spots to work on my 6400m

I am struggling with what to enter to get the telnet or dx summit source to bring spots to my radio. I see where to enter it on the Slicemaster settings tab, but don't know what to enter...I am not a computer **** and could use some help if you can provide.   Thanks, 
Ive downloaded version VO..10.7c

Answers

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Harry,

If you've found the Spot Sources section of the settings tab you are nearly done. Follow the highlighted examples

The first is a telnet connection ve7cc's cluster server.  Change the call sign of course.  The second will grab spots from DX Summit.  The part after the ? is for filters and the syntax matches the filters they generate on their for their web pages.  The checkbox enables the source.

Note that for spots to show up in your panafalls, you must also enable their display in SSDR.  In SSDR, select 'Settings' from the menu bar, then 'Spots...' and make sure the 'Enabled' button is blue.

--Don

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Don

Which call sign in the ve7cc example?  What is the syntax of these addresses?

Alan
    WA9WUD
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    In the ve7cc example:

telnet:://YOUR-CALL@ve7cc.net?sh/dx

where YOUR-CALL is your call sign.

For information on the syntax of the dxsmt: open in browser:

http://dxsummit.fi/

and the "filters" on the home page.  Various selections appear (HF, VHF, 10M etc.) One can see how to build the syntax for the filters.

Leave ve7cc as an exercise to the interested student.

GL + Good DX

Tim - k3Tim/7
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Alan,

The syntax is borrowed from the spec for Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI).  It is the IETF standard that web addresses are based on. 

Loosely speaking, the part after the :// and before the following / or ? (which ever comes first) specifies the username, password, and network location of a resource (like a web site or remote server).  The part after the first / or ? requests a specific part of the resource.  The part before the :// specifies the protocol to be used to interact with the resource.

In other words... I was lazy and didnt want to write a complicated user interface to get all of this information from the user. I'm sure I'll get around to it though.  

The Slice Master README spells out some of the details and offers a few examples.  From there you just need to replace the bits you care about.

Apologies for the confusion.

--Don

• Harry Dudley
    Harry Dudley Member
    edited February 2020
    Don, i really appreciate your help.  I have entered the info you provided and nothing is coming up.  Not sure what I have not done but it states “no connection” at the bottom of the Slicemaster window. Do you know what I may have not done?  I only completed the settings tab as I thought the other tabs were not applicable. They are both empty tabs.  
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Harry,

If you are seeing the 'no connection' message, that's a whole different bucket of snails.  That problem usually comes done to one of two things. 

The most common is that when you first ran Slice Master you missed the dialog from Windows asking you to grant Slice Master permission to use your network.  Without that permission, Slice Master wont be able to connect to your radio. 

The other common cause is that Slice Master doesnt support SmartLink... so you need to run it on the same local network as your radio.  Are you connecting to your radio with SmartLink?

--Don

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.