Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Looking for new cable modem

Rich McCabe
Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
I recently replaced my modem with a Arris SB6190. I have been unable to use port 23 for telnet since. Arris is zero help and Mediacom says they are not blocking Port 23 and to talk to Arris.

My Motorola modem worked OK but I could not get it to work in bridge mode so as unable to connect my Ubiquity Firewall/router to it.

So back to the drawing board as being able to Telnet on 23 is important for a ham :)

Suggestions appreciated for ham use.  I personally would rather it be basic as I have the routing and firewall covered.

This is a Mediacom cable 100MB cable connection.

Rich
kd0zv

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Hi Rich

First off use a cable modem fully supported by your cable provider.

even though some modems you purchase 3rd party will work the cable company will not support firmware, etc.

i use an Arris TM1602G which my cable company supports for voice and data. I get full 300 MBps download.

Last, make sure your local router has port 23 opened to the private IP of the device on the network you want to telnet to.

dave wo2x

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hey Dave,

Yea I started with the Mediacom supported list. I don't want to battle with them anymore than I have to.

I took the router/firewall out of line as normally a port restriction is a function of the router and not the modem. So I just took a notebook down to the basement and plugged straight into the modem. Internet was OK but still could not telnet a cluster server. Can telnet VE7CC.net on 7373 but not 23.

So either the modem is blocking the port or cable company is. Mediacom says they are not and so does Arris.  And the support ended there.

The SB6190 is just a modem only so there is no router in it. So when you log in you have option to change PW and logs.

I just ordered a Netgear CM1000 and it should be here Monday. I have just read all kinds of stuff on here about modem issues with the Flex so thought I would make a post.

Previous modem/routers had no issue with 23. I just cant be sure if it stopped working exactly when I upgraded some network equipment or not as the cluster I was using was not a standard port 23.

Rich

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I had similar problems. Something ( Comcast?) kept causing the modem to revert to default settings and out of Bridge mode. So replaced with a "dumb" modem and haven't had any issues since. The port forwarding instructions reside in the router.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XH46MWW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

73 Paul w2eck
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Unfortunately with Mediacom even if the modem is on their list of supported modems they wont help you. All the firmware updates,etc on this device are done for their side. But since you are not paying them a monthly fee for the modem you are kinda on your own.

I believe they call this the between the rock and the hard place. They will send a tech out to look at it but if their cable connection checks out OK its $49.95.

I am pretty sure port 23 dropped when I added this new modem so I would rather throw the money at another modem and try that first.

I mount my modems with velcro as they seem to be disposable.

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Follow up. The new Netgear CM1000 works perfect. Port 23 now works. So the Arris modem that does not have internal technology to limit ports (according to Arris) apparently does.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.