Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Has anyone succeeded working SO2R remotely over internet?

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I wonder if anyone has succeeded working SO2R remotely over internet with N1MM and one 6700/6600?

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Theoretically I have, just not full duration in a contest as when I am remote I don't have radio time anyway.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Yes.  I do it all the time.  my methodology may be different then yours, and I do NOT use SmartLink
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020

I use a VPN on one site and Smartlink on the other and run two instances of SmartSDR on the same Surface Pro.

• Mark Aaker K6UFO
    Mark Aaker K6UFO Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Does anyone have or know of a description of how to setup the radio (6600) for SO2R?  Not how to setup N1MM for SO2R, I have that working fine. But how to use that Global profile, SO2RDefault, and setup the slices and Transmit profiles, and link them to TX Antennas, and the TX Band Settings - all stuff that is not obvious and needs to be setup to have SO2R work properly? Thanks for any guidance.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Mark I can help you with this.  I am working to refresh the SO2R setup document, but the setup of profiles to accommodate specific use cases has been an enigma that I had to work out on my own, and I am happy to put it on paper as part of that refresh.  If you have immediate need I can help you out via a teamviewer/vnc session or OTP.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    PM me.
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited January 2020
    Ok I see, Would be interesting to hear how your set up differs from the one I have tested.
    1. Keying N1MM with SSDR Winkeyer and CAT to Flex.6700 and no PC at remote location. Works 100% but I cannot get sidetone (as expected). 
    2.  Keying N1MM with new Flex API remote Winkeyer and CAT to Flex.6700 and no PC. Problems rises with switching and fault messages about "...slices switched while in transmitt...". Works only initially till you press F3 TU and transmit. Only RX is switched  to anotgher slice while TX is not switched which makes SWR go high and power is reduced, 
    3. Keying N1MM with Remoe Rig boxes and its Winkeyer and no PC at remote location.  Same as nr 2, 

So in the latter two cases there seem to be some "CAT issue". Why bother? Well the new Flex API keyer works very well in SO1V and you get local sidetone. A breakthrough for us who have waited for a local CW side tone, 

• Mark Aaker K6UFO
    edited January 2020
    Thank you Chris! It's not immediate, but every weekend there's a contest and I have tried several times to get the SO2R setup working, and failed. I fall back to SO1R and it works fine. I'd be glad to see your "refreshed" SO2R document.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I know Matt well.. and am aware of his project.  when I worked him last.. (Stew perry??  I think.. anyway I heard some garbled output on it.  hope he continues to fine tune it.  So the problem you are having is slice A>B switching I assume.  is it consistent?  I can try and duplicate it.  have you tried some type of VPN solution?
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    No worries Mark.. if you want instant training.. (it wouldnt be a bad idea to see how I do it so you can take the ball from there) I am happy to work with you.  you know how to reach me.  I need some quality screen shot time with a totally flex free PC to finish my work...
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited January 2020
    Yes it is consistent. And Matts' solution is over the API as well  so I would thougth it did not suffer from this issue.
    Yes I tried VPN but the same. 
    Matt's solution works very well over SO1V, So please make try. But how do you produce local sidetone? 
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited January 2020
    Jim, Do you have a 6700 with two SSDRs? 
  • Mark Aaker K6UFO
    edited January 2020
    Thanks to Chris and Mike VA3MW I got SO2R working.
    First, I reset the radio to erase any profiles, and started fresh.
    I followed the FlexRadio document
    "How to Integrate Writelog for SO2R with FLEX-6700" at 
    <">https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005443943-How-to-Integrate-Writelog-for-SO2R-wit...;
    I avoided creating any new Transmit profiles, and only used 
    the default for each slice and band to select the ANT and power 
    setting. For whatever reason, that seems to have solved the problem, 
    and power is staying as set per band, and staying as I switch to 
    other entry window and then back. So, SO2R is working properly. 
    Very neat to have SO2R from just one box (Flex-6600) and logging software!
    Mark K6UFO
  • w5ap
    w5ap Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Please explain how
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    He uses a remote desktop to a machine on site.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.