Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Recorded Messages for phone contest

Rich McCabe
Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have attempted to record the exchange for upcoming phone QSO party.  The audio sounds great but more like broadcast than contest audio. Not good enough to even consider really.

Will be trying to set this up with N1MM. Is there any way to record through your normal contest element microphone to get a better frequency response?  I am sure there is but just trying to figure out what people are doing.

Rich
kd0zv

Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Connect your recording program to DAX Mic. Then use the mic connected to the radio. Works very nicely.

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I must be missing something Craig.  As a test I am just trying to use the Win10 voice recorder which works fine using a PC mic. But if I switch my windows default mic to the Flex DAX mic, it is not recording anything.  Is there anything else you need to do on Flex?

EDIT: I think I figured it out.  Totally missed the Mic Stream on the DAX control panel which was OFF.  Thanks Craig.

Rich
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Rich, I use Audicity  https://www.audacityteam.org/  a free software tool to " record and/or fine tune" my messages I use in N1MM.  It's quite simple to get started with and gives excellent control over your messages lenght, audio level etc.

Johan

• Chuck - W9WLX
    Chuck - W9WLX Member
    edited January 2020
    Yes, this works very well--no additional software necessary.  One benefit of doing it this way is it uses the Flex audio chain.  The raw audio file is recorded without any processor but your processor setting is applied when you transmit the macro.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Johan,  I have Audacity installed. I was hoping to use Adobe Audition which comes with a monthly creative cloud subscription I pay for each month and it did work but Audacity did a better job.  I was getting some hiss in my recordings with Audition which is probably just a setting but Audacity worked perfect so I might just use that.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    You can record TX messages on the fly with N1MM+.  I do it all the time using my headset connected to my 6600M.  Nice crunchy contest audio !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUAjpcCjxtI
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Thanks Joe will watch that video.  I have not worked much for phone contests but I am a new Ham ( only 35 years) :)

Wont be the same not hearing your dit dit

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.