Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Freeze

Paul F6EXV
Paul F6EXV Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hi all
Since a few days, my SSDR (version 2.5.1 - Flex 6500) has been freezing for up to about 3 secons every 35 seconds.
I have just done a computer reboot, the freeze does not last as long (now about 1 second) but still happens about every 35 seconds..
I have tried to run SSDR alone, no other program running, and the same happens. When in FT8, the reception would still be working, but display would happen all at once at the end of the freeze. I cannt move the frequency, or do anything with the mouse during the freeze period.
I have checked my network connections, they are all OK. I am running Win10, with the latest update.

Any idea how to solve this ?
Thanks + 73
Paul F6EXV

Answers

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Paul,

Take a look at task manager in Win 10 and see what is happening with computer resources during the freezes.  Check and see which processes are using lots of CPU, Memory, Disk, Network etc. during the freeze. This will give you a clue on what's happening.

Have you installed any new software recently ?

Have you installed any new network gear recently ?

I assume you have restarted the radio ?

Joe
    N3HEE

• Val  DM1TX
    Val DM1TX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hi Paul,
    Happy New Year!
    I am also running here a Flex 6500 but with 2.6 Software.
    Try and close all opened applications and browsers. Let just the SSDR and other software connected to it to run.Is still freezing?
    If so run the Task manager and see which apps and processes are using most of the memory or CPU. Force them close.
    I had a similar issue after a recent Win 10 update. In my case Chrome was behaving strange.
    I remove it an reinstall it. All fine now.

73 Val

• Val  DM1TX
    Val DM1TX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Ha ha ha. Joe you were faster!
  • Paul F6EXV
    Paul F6EXV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi all, and thanks for tips.
    It looks like GoogleDriveSync could be the culprit, but I just can't uninstall it.... Any hint please ?
    Paul F6EXV
  • Val  DM1TX
    Val DM1TX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hi Paul,
    I have also here the GoogleDriveSync. It is mainly using disk time. Do you have an SSD there?
    Alternately you can pause the sync and resume it at night. I see there is no way to schedule the sync time. 73 Val
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Or perhaps GoogleDriveSync is using a lot of network bandwidth if it is trying to sync large files ?

Was this running on your computer before the freezes started ?
  • Lester Shields
    Lester Shields Member
    edited January 2020
    I have had the same problem for several years. I just opened a ticket on it. In my case, I tried the following:

Replace computer with new Core I7 running windows 10. No change.
    Killed and restarted SmartSDR (now at 2.6). No change.
    Reboot computer. No change.
    Shut down the 6700 and restart. Problem fixed. Temporarily. It always comes back after a few days.

• Mike Peron
    Mike Peron Member ✭✭

Just came across this rather old post but wanted to share what might be an easy fix. I have a 6600M and an HP Omen PC with I7-8700 (3.2ghZ) with 16GB RAM. Noticed with all the open third part apps (CW Skimmer, HRD, WSJT, JT-Alert, SliceMaster...) the CPU utilization was peaking around 50% but averaging around 25%. Yet the Panos (3 slices) were momentarily freezing (a few seconds every 15 seconds or so). I could not correlate any freeze event with a momentary spike in CPU utilization using Task Manager's performance tab. My Flex is connected to the PC and the Home Internet (Ethernet cable) with a NetGear Ethernet Switch. I simply unplugged power from the Switch and reconnected and everything has been fine since. Wonder if this just luck, coincidence or a real solution? The Ethernet switch is an inexpensive NetGear 5 port Switch Model #GS605 rated at 10 GBPS. Is this an adequate switch? 73, Mike WB6UTW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.