Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Line level audio into Flex 6400 .. audio extremely hot by the time radio modulates 100%

Kevin J. Darrah
Kevin J. Darrah Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I run AM exclusively with my Flex 6400. Through the Mic input all seems well for the most part. I decided to run audio into the 15 Pin Connector. Now I am extremely puzzled. 

As long as I keep the modulation levels somewhere between 50% and 75% the audio is satisfactory.. When I try to modulate the audio too 100% as verified with a scope the audio is so excessively hot, even before the leveler encroaches 0 DB.... 

There is no hum, no anomalies etc.... On the audio .... AS long as I keep it at 50% ....  Wondered if anyone else had noticed/tried this on AM and had similar results. 

Kind of a strange situation, thanks. 

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Are wiring your mic directly to the 15 pin connector? or using a small mixer?
  • Rod KQ6F
    Rod KQ6F Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I also have a 6400.

I hooked up an audio oscillator to pins 1 and 2 on the ACC connector, selected ACC input, AM mode and watched the RF envelope on a scope as I cranked up the oscillator output.  Everything perfect from zero to 100% modulation - no erratic behavior.
  • Kevin J. Darrah
    edited December 2019
    Using an Omnia Volt.... running that into an attenuator to bring it down to consumer level audio, then a 600 ohm audio xmfr .... Using pins 1 and pin 10 on the connector into the Flex. 
  • Kevin J. Darrah
    edited December 2019
    I thought pin #2 was for powered speakers... I will have to check that out, thanks
  • Rod KQ6F
    Rod KQ6F Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I fed the audio into pins 1 and 5.  Pin 2 was a typo.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.