Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Lost auto band change ability

Rudyk2evy
Rudyk2evy Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Using a 6700 with Tokyo HP amp HL-2500fx.  Auto band change using Kenwood setting on amp and appropriately wired serial port cable to amp has worked without problems since purchasing the Flex roughly 4 years ago.  I am able to downgrade to Hardware 2.3.7.110 and DDUtil v3.2.7.0.5 to regain auto band change capability.  However, I lose capability with my current setting of Hardware v3.1.8.145 and DDUtil v4.0.1.09.  I don't see any related configuration setting and I think the problem lies with some change in DDUtil upgrade from v3 to v4.   (perhaps you can open Word document at   http://www.rudyk2evy.com/images/RCP1.docx  to see screen shots)

Comments

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am pretty sure you can run the AMP auto band switching direct with the FLEX 6700 and a FTDI USB to serial adapter WITH OUT DDUTIL depending on what the radio firmware is.
    You can find the USB interface guide here for more info  https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/

The Radio version and the version of DDUTIL are critical and I think only the latest version 3  or 2.5 SmartSDR works with DDTUIL version 4 but it's been a while since I have used DDUTIL because SmartSDR does it all so I could be wrong.

Bret

• Rudyk2evy
    Rudyk2evy Member
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for your comments, Bret.  I hadn't thought of that approach at all.  Still a bit risky because will have to get Kenwood read & write commands right.  Tempting to just flip knob on amp one click to enable frequency sniffing mode.  Test of character, I guess.
    Thanks, again.... 73, Rudy 
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Sounds good Rudolf, 
    I have used this method since it's inception and have found it works great. 
    The Flex talks Kenwood commands by default so should work fine or BCD with a BCD cable instead. 

I have used on a ALS1306 using BCD, Elecraft KPA500 RS-232, and even run it on the FLEX PGXL AMP with RS-232 Kenwood mode because I use PTT keying through the AT-Auto Tuner which is ALSO controlled by the FLEX radio to pre-tune to the frequency, I do use a Powered high quality USB HUB because I have no less then 5 USB Ports controlled by the Flex Radio. 

I run my 6700 100% of the time remote and have a lot of trust in the FLEX USB control's, and I don't have to rely on loading a 3rd party software to keep the station automated. 
    Bret

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.