Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to add Bluetooth headset capability to the Maestro

Jerry
Jerry Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in New Ideas

Here is a simple way to add Headset Bluetooth to the Maestro

What is needed is a Bluetooth receiver/transmitter which is capable of full duplex operation.

Most receiver/transmitters I have seen out there will only do receive or transmit, but not both at the same time.

ClearSounds makes a Bluetooth stereo transceiver that  is full duplex

It is the ClearSounds Qconnect CLG92.  Around $37.00 from Amazon

One will need to build a cable that plugs into its stereo 2.5mm jack which then breaks out into the Maestro speaker and microphone jacks. 

The tip of the Qconnect plug wires to the tip of the Maestro  mic plug.  The center conductor of the Qconnect plug wires to the tip of the Maestro speaker plug.  Both shields from the Maestro plugs terminate at the shield of the Qconnect plug.

Simply pair the CLG92 to your Bluetooth headset and you will have full duplex operation for use with your Maestro.

I am using the Plantronics Voyager 104 which works very well and has a nice long boom on it.

The Blueparrott B450-XT also works very well. 

Some of the cheaper headsets on Amazon also work but can sometimes exhibit a tone on the microphone audioimage and clicking noise on receive audio.  One needs to experiment here.

I recommend staying with headset with a long boom on it.  Bluetooth noise canceling can be aggressive at times and using a headset with the microphone located at the ear can sometimes lead to hollow “underwater” type mic audio.

Bluetooth mic audio tends to be a little on the narrow side but can be enhanced if desired by using the transmit EQ.  With this headset I find sliding the 63Hz and 125HZ all the way up to 10 then setting the 250Hz to around 4 works well.  Xmit bandwidth 0Hz to 3200Hz.

A little dip at 500Hz and slight peak at 2Khz.  This is all personal preference.

Attached is a picture showing the back of my Maestro.

The Qconnect is shown wired to the microphone and speaker jack of the Maestro

Also show is a remote camera shutter release that I use for a wireless push to talk.

I also use a 12vdc battery pack with Velcro to the back of the battery door.

Jerry
W1JWC

Comments

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Great! Thanks for the information. I will try it in the 6600 box as well. I have a pair of Bose Bluetooth headphones that work with my phone and laptop. I tried to use them with rigs but the Bluetooth TX wouldn't pair. I use my headphones with Morse Runner and RemoteHams. FYI, I am getting conflicts with multiple Bluetooth devices that I use.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.