Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

'There are currently no radios available'

Chris Walker
Chris Walker Member ✭✭
Running Windows 10, with my Flex 6400m. I can go direct from radio to computer or radio to router (ether cable) and still cpu does not see radio (or vice versa). Just same message as above. It has worked for over a year on Smart SDR and hooked everything backup after we had weather and no joy. Using the radio stand alone work perfect but want the Smart SDR back... I feel like it is simple and Im just missing one little thing...

Answers

• Harry Dudley
    Harry Dudley Member
    edited November 2019
    Are you using a LAN switch?  If so did it take a hit with static in the weather you experienced.  I have 8 port LAN running to radio and internet and computer, works great...Just a thought...
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Did you try re starting your router and radio?
  • Harry Dudley
    Harry Dudley Member
    edited November 2019
    Chris, believe it or not, cables can go bad...I had an ethernet cable go bad...check them out or swap them out for new cables....Just another thought...
  • Chris Walker
    Chris Walker Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Thank you!  But I bypass and go from radio to computer direct and still same thing...
  • Chris Walker
    Chris Walker Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Thanks Bill. Yes, I have restarted both several times...
  • Chris Walker
    Chris Walker Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Thanks Harry. Yes I have tried several cables. New that goes from radio direct to cpu and still same message. Cant understand it...?
  • Chris Walker
    Chris Walker Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Is there anything in the cpu that might have been effected by the weather. I did not disconnect it. But it works fine on all other functions. email, internet ect. Have it direct to the router via ethernet cable...
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Make sure you don't have a software firewall blocking it.
  • Chris Walker
    Chris Walker Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Great suggestion Larry. All Flex products are allowed thru firewall... I now have it cabled direct from radio to cpu. Still not talking to each other... Again both computer and radio are woking fine.... huh?
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Chris I could be off here but bear with me as I had a recent happening similar to yours and this is the story.
    I "had" a serious RF issue with RF getting into my network/radio system because my internet is a radio modem on my tower very close to some of the TX antennas.

So experimenting I broke that internet run with a pair of fiber optic converters (3 foot long fiber run.)

NEXT I put the radio (6600) Maestro and computer on a separate switch so they had no internet and separated from the network, the IP's assigned without DHCP from the router are 169.xx.xx.xx.
    This worked great (no RF issues running full legal limit now) so temporarily I added internet with a wireless NIC to the computer only. Still working fine. Even ran a contest like this.

NEXT MOVE and lastly (where I am today) in order to get internet to Radio, Maestro and computer and IP's of 192.168.xx.xx from the router by DHCP I turned off the wireless NIC and attached the separate switch to the router with an additional pair of fiber optic converters. (again a 3 foot long fiber run.)

LAST POINT:  When I did the last step I had to restart radio, and computer a few times before the computer SAW the radio THEN once connected the connection was IFFY.  Doing a speedtest on the computer the connection was slow although other computers on the network were normal.

A reset of the radio and couple more restarts suddenly lo and behold this system is all working at full speed, excellent!!!  Speedtest.com test AOK!  Radio, Maestro, computer love each other once again in true harmony, (pun.)
    I have no other explanation, certainly NOT scientific as I am no network engineer.

Keep driving at it Chris, hope this could possibly help you somehow.

Clay N9IO
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Chris:

You mentioned restart of the radio.  Have you tried a factory reset or was that what you meant when you stated restart?

Gayle K0FLY
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    If the front panel is active, you can't connect from ssdr on pc - unless you're running v3 software. You can disable the front panel from the menu. Don't have the exact procedure at hand. 73 gl Martin AA6E.
  • Chris Walker
    Chris Walker Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hello Gayle. I have not done a factory reset. Actually didnt even think of that. I might go there if I don't get things going by afternoon.  Thank you.
  • Chris Walker
    Chris Walker Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    With the pc on and Smart SDR active, I then turn on the radio but it never sees the radio like it would on the past. At the bottom of the maestro, it does say Ethernet cable connected but no internet. Which is correct as I am going only from radio to cpu. aka Field day mode. So maybe something wrong with the computer...? Seems to simple, but I guess not... Thank you Martin, Chris

By the way, running v 2.4.9
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You said you had a 6400m. Do you have a Maestro, too? Not understanding your setup.
  • Chris Walker
    Chris Walker Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Didn't mean to confuse. 6400m (m=maestro). I do not have a separate display. Just meant the built in Maestro. Computer still doesn't see the radio. I have gone back and reviewed all the basic Flex SDR setup and they just assume the radio will see the computer as they skip right over it. 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited November 2019
    Chris, 

Go into menu from front panel of radio and look and see what IP address is assigned to the Ethernet port. 

Then with radio directly wired to PC open a command prompt. Type in IPCONFIG /ALL and see what IP is assigned to the PC Ethernet port. Both should be 169.254.x.x range.

Just a reminder, booth the PC and radio up agter they are directly connected.

Dave wo2x
  • Wilbur Doolittle
    Wilbur Doolittle Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    straght thru or crossed network cable
  • Chris Walker
    Chris Walker Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hello Dave, Thanks for the help. The radio is 169.254.x.xx   However the PC is 192.168.x.x

Is this the issue? Ethernet cable connected from radio to cpu. The computer is also on wifi...
  • Wilbur Doolittle
    edited November 2019
    yes it is 
  • Chris Walker
    Chris Walker Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    OK good. So how do I sync the IP addresses?  Thanks! 
  • Wilbur Doolittle
    edited November 2019
    the easy way is to allow the flex to reboot hook it back to the network first then reboot
    hook the pc back to the network reboot the the pc as well after the flex
    do the ipconfig /all if it still does not connect
  • coveredup
    coveredup Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Look under FlexRadio Settings and make sure under Radio Setup- Network -Advanced  - you have DHPC selected 
  • coveredup
    coveredup Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Sounds like you may have Static selected
  • coveredup
    coveredup Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    O also -- you need DHPC turned on at your router
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited November 2019
    Make sure on the PC that Ethernet connection shows 169.254.x.x when connected to the radio. 

The WiFi can show the 192.168 IP.

if the Ethernet adapter is not showing an IP then maybe it is disabled since you use WiFi for Internet access.

if you would like remote assistance via TeamViewer you can email me and we can talk on the phone. My call at ARRL dor net.
    I have time anytime tomorrow.

Dave wo2x 
  • Chris Walker
    Chris Walker Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks for everyones help.

Quick note: In the back of the modem/switch where the ethernet ports are, there are no lights (green/orange) on. I am plugged in to the first 2 slots (radio and cpu). The front of the modem is online and all looks good and we do have internet. Issue? 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited November 2019
    Is this a device provided by your Internet provider? Sounds like the ports may not be enabled. You should see link lights. Make sure the cables are firmly plugged in. 

If still no link lights, call your Internet provider in the morning.

Dave wo2x
  • Chris Walker
    Chris Walker Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Thanks again Dave, I will do it today. Im hoping this should solve the problem. We did have lightning strikes very close the other night. All radios were disconnected. Maybe it effected the modem....? 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited November 2019
    Very possible. In that case call your ISP for a service call. Let them know you do not see link lights on modem/router when cables plugged in. That way a tech can have a replacement modem/router with him.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.