Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can you use a single antenna to use a 2 VFO flex 5000a

Can you use only one antenna to operate a dual VF our flex 5000 a? I only have one antenna but would like to use both VFO’s

Answers

• JohnK2CIB
    JohnK2CIB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yes, you can receive on both receivers (not just VFOs) and transmit on one at a time.  I can transmit on one and use the second receiver to monitor my transmission, for example.
  • Darren G7DAZ
    Darren G7DAZ Member
    edited November 2019
    Hi John,

"I can transmit on one and use the second receiver to monitor my transmission"

.....is this on a Flex 5000a ? ...if so how ? ....as i'm led to believe the 2nd RX is  "muted" to protect itself....or are you using very very low power to do this "monitoring" ?

I can use my MON button in PSDR to listen to myself (ignoring the delay) but i'm curious as to how you're listening on the 2nd receiver without blowing the arse out of it.

73 de G7DAZ (Darren/Daz)

• JohnK2CIB
    JohnK2CIB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    First, I learned of this in a great video about adjusting the audio.  It was a number of years ago and I can't find it now.
    That said, I do not find that the audio shown in RX1 while transmitting (and expanding the signal to occupy 3-4 inches of screen) is significantly different than listening to the signal in RX2, so I do not usually use RX2 for this.  There are many videos about adjusting the chain of audio and it is worth doing it.

I just played around and the second rx does not mute when you do this:

In Setup | General | Rx2
        uncheck Automute in RX2

In Ant | Receiver 2
        Set RX2 to RX1 Tap

That way the second receiver gets its signal from Antenna1 through a tapped transformer to protect it.

I checked this out by using CW on 14.010 and listening to my second harmonic on the second receiver on 28.020 running 50W to a dummy load.

This is the closest you can get for using two receivers on the same antenna.

73, John
  • Darren G7DAZ
    Darren G7DAZ Member
    edited November 2019
    Hi John,
    many thanks for the reply (curiosity was killing me); it's much appreciated....i'll pass on doing the above....one forgetful moment and the brown stuff could hit the fan; a risk i'm not prepared to take.

If the video is by a Brit with both a Flex and an Anan then yeah i've already got the video/s.

73 de G7DAZ (Darren/Daz)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.