Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

European 220V Greece plug

KL4QG
KL4QG Member ✭✭
I have Amplifier 1500 watts Built in Greece it has 48 Volt built power supply 2900 volts to 59 amp My problem plugs I rent and can only use what in house image Black plug came with amp 220 Volts in picture- Builder said it’s safe use my gray stove plug in picture wired stripped black cord that had that came with amp that had that European plug in picture Again I cannot change out my 220 plug in rental imageimage House 220 volt house plug image

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Looks Pretty simple.. 

Your Greek System has 2 Hot leads and 2 Grounds.. one being a chassis safety ground (round) and one being the center ground

Your USA Socket has 2 hot leads (angled) and a Center Ground (big Square)

Buy a USA Plug compatible with the Socket.. Connect the Hot leads to the hot terminals

Use ONE Ground (NOT THE CHASSIS Ground) as the Feed Ground

Ground the chassis to your system ground
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I have use plug it’s white one in first post compatible with house Socket here close up plug and house outlet

Here what builder said

Hello Joe.

do not worry about the 220v wire sizes.

does not matter if you put more thick cables this will not give more voltage. on the 220v input of amplifier we have low current about 10A peaks.

if you put your white cable in line on your 220v plug at your home check in which 2 wires is the 220v and which wire is the ground.
    this way you will be sure that you give to the correct wires the 220v and the ground.you must connect 220v to the brown and blue cables and ground to the yellow cable

imageimage

image The black cord is his plug wire with plug cut off blue and blue and yellow
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    1.  Get a meter to check the SOCKET to make sure the angled leads are HOT
    and confirm that the center is GROUND

2.  Confirm with a METER that the lads from your white plug

2.a It looks like the center wire is ground and connects to the Straight Pin 

2.b  the two outer wires are the hot leads going to the angled pins

If so, then the brown and blue should be connected to the angled pins and the yellow goes to the center pin
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yes center wire is Ground I confirmed
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thank u very much
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I’ll wire have on Air Sunday image
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Hang on here a second JOE...  Look closely at that Greek plug.  Greece uses 230V 50hz power.  If all of you look closely at the plug is clearly states one pin is LINE and the other pin is NEUTRAL.  USA power utilizes a pair of opposing (180 degree out of phase) LINES... Two different plugs will go into the socket a 2 pinner for simple devices like a lamp... and this one for power appliances...  The plug is rated at 16 amps.

I would really need to have a look at the schematic of the power supply section of that amp.  BUT I can tell you right now hooking a neutral pin up to a LINE on USA power without seeing exactly what is happening inside that amp is going to ruin a perfectly good Sunday by starting a fire and charring up that nice shiny piece of gear.

Is there one of the European guys on here who is familiar with this particular amp? Or send a readable copy of the schematic...  or an online one to look at.

Oh BTW just to add.  I have considerable experience as an AMPLIFIER tech, AND have worked as a professional electrician between flying gigs.

Jus Sayin... 

Erika DD
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The plug looks like all my three-wire plugs in my shack.
    https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/
    As most of EU does not adhere to the extra pin in the socket, we can rotate the plug and take no attention to how live/neutral goes. Just make sure yellow/green is attached to chassie ground.

What worries me a bit more is the cable.. looks awfully thin for supplying an amp! And the IEC-socket C13 on the amp is rated at 10 A if I recall correctly. There are others that are rated at 16A. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Here what builder amp says to me below about thin cable Hello Joe. do not worry about the 220v wire sizes. does not matter if you put more thick cables this will not give more voltage. on the 220v input of amplifier we have low current about 10A peaks. if you put your white cable in line on your 220v plug at your home check in which 2 wires is the 220v and which wire is the ground. this way you will be sure that you give to the correct wires the 220v and the ground.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I’ll take pictures inside amp at work be there in hour
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The two angled wires on the USA cable are LINES...  Between them goes the 220-221 whatever it takes  The straight between those two is the system ground.  As long as there's nothing else done inside the box, it should fly. As long as what Lasse said is the way things go, and the builder didn't do some odd connections, it should work, but would be nice to get a clear pic a look at a schematic would be better.  But we are moving forward, :-)
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I've been up since 4 getting husband breakfast and off to work and working 80 meter on FT8 now time to take nap before getting back to destroying my kitchen.  I look for your post Joe when I get back.  DD
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    imageimageimageimage
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Picture inside amp in hour
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The bad news is none of your schematics are for the power supply

The good news is that it’s a 50-60Hz Hewlett-Packard Packard power supply.  So no frequency issues.  Google HP Part#226519-001 for the schematics but I think my original instructions above are correct 

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    YES, that was good news.  The big thing is the connector in the back IS not the power connector ON the supply, and the on off switch is not on the supply either.  If the USA outlet  has 220-221 Whatever it takes, then this will be running in minutes.  Awaiting inside pic and we'll know what builder did.  DD
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Further googling.  It’s an American Part for Servere so no phasing issues. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    As per my instructions above there is a Neutral Line in the plug and a Chassis Ground LUG on the chassis    Most Neutral lines are not RF ground so make sure you connect the Chassis Ground to a good ground source 

Since it’s a USA Power Supply - the Greek Plug is a Kluge — so USA standards apply 

My original instructions above are correct. 
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    imageimage
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    imageimage
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    imageimage
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I have very good earth ground
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thanks all keep it coming
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Looks like a standard USA 110V computer equipment socket  on the Amp    Except he is running it at 220V 
    My instructions are correct 
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I’ll hook up at 3 pm AK time
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    It’s alive It’s alive Full legal power 1500 ssb only 60 watts on dummy load 100 watts 1800 -It’s Alive it’s alive —going get better radio Desk next Got great great Audio reports Japan Stations With Flex 6400M and RadioSport Headset with boom Mic image
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I'm very happy for you.  Have a great time playing radio!....  Erika DD
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I’m like a 12 old boy in ice cream store lol Thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.