Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6400M and Electro Voice RE320

Options
Ben Morris
Ben Morris Member ✭✭
I haven’t seen a topic on the best solution for running and Electro Voice RE320 with a 6400 or M. I have attempted to run my 320 directly into the radio with the 20 dB of mic boost. With the mic gain wide open, there is very little drive. I can run the mic through a mixer and have plenty of audio and get great reports. Has anyone found a solution for running the RE320 without a mixer or pre amp? Thank you in advance.

Answers

• Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    No, I have to run my RE320 through a mic pre-amp also. Can not get enough drive on my 6600M. Other radios such as my Apache's have no issues.
  • Bob - W8FB
    Bob - W8FB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi Ben,

I'm afraid you'll need a mixer or preamp. I use a RE-20 with a Cloudlifter CL-1 preamp and external 48v phantom supply. Works great!

Bob | W8FB
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Odd, an RE20 is a dynamic mic...
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I think your "odd"ness comes in to play because the Cloudlifter is an inline preamp and it's the CL that needs Phantom Power, not the RE20. The CL blocks phantom power to the mic as the RE20 is indeed dynamic and needs no phantom power.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    OK, got it. I am not familiar with the Cloudlifter product and hadn't considered that it might need phantom power. Thanks for the info.
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Some of these preamps are slimline and built into a XLR connector.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Interesting. I'm in the touring sound business and have had no need for a single standalone mic pre. In everything we do there are dozens  or more than a hundred inputs on a typical console. I'll keep this in mind if I ever need something similar. 
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I use a StudioProjects VTB1 V Series preamp with my EV RE27.  Provides plenty of drive for my 6700.
  • wb4qda
    wb4qda Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I use the balanced mic input for my re27 d on my 6600 m. I just use EQ in the radio . The re27d has plenty of gain .. the microphone on the radio is set at 60.
  • Ben Morris
    Ben Morris Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Thanks for the input...I’ll stick with using my small mixer.
  • Gary W9GD
    Gary W9GD Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I am new ham 3 years, I have a elctro voice e320 and am no expert at all. However i use no mixer no pre amp and mine works perfectly. Everyone always asks your audio is awesome what are you using. I am on the road so i cant post my setting or pics. But will try when i gat back to the shack. You can email if you need detailed screen shots of my settings and get rid of those other devices. The radio does it all for me.

• mrB
    mrB Member
    Options
    > @"Gary W9GD" said:
    > I am new ham 3 years, I have a elctro voice e320 and am no expert at all. However i use no mixer no pre amp and mine works perfectly. Everyone always asks your audio is awesome what are you using. I am on the road so i cant post my setting or pics. But will try when i gat back to the shack. You can email if you need detailed screen shots of my settings and get rid of those other devices. The radio does it all for me.

I also use a RE320 with my Flex 6400 without the need for any preamp,GW0EIK.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have been using an RE320 with my 6500 for some years. No pre-amp needed, and I get plenty of output and great signal reports.

Perhaps you don't have the connections correct. The RE320 is balanced output and should be connected to a balanced input on the radio. The 6500 makes it easy, as it has an balanced XLR connector on the back panel.

73, Craig KØCF

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.