Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL and vintage radio

James Eastham Jr
James Eastham Jr Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in Power Genius XL Amplifier
Is it possible to run the PGXL with a vintage radio exciter that has no 
band data capability?  

Answers

• Travis Best
    Travis Best Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Yes you can manually select the band from the touch screen
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I did not find this feature well documented.  With the amp in operate mode, the backlight green, press and hold the area where "no band data" is displayed.  A band selection panel will appear.  

Keith - AC9S
  • James Eastham Jr
    edited January 2020
    Was away for awhile and didn't get a chanced to try the touch screen info referred to in the earlier posts.   I set them amp to operate mode ...green backlight,  pressing and holding no band data,  but no band selection panel appears.   I tried pulling the LAN plug,  restarted the amp and same thing, no touch screen response on my PGXL.    What am I doing wrong?
    Jim  NX3Z

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Interesting feature Keith.  Once a band is manually selected do you happen to know how to go back to the "no band data" option?  I've noticed the "Auto" button is not selectable.  The only way I was able to return my PG-XL from the Manual mode was to turn it off and back.
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Sorry for the late reply, I have been away on a Minnesota visit.  I just played with the amp and you need to pick a band once the PGXL is in manual mode.  Having done that you can select the "auto" button and the PGXL will go back to its initial "no band data" state.  Not exactly intuitive, but it seems to work well enough.  I can hear the internal relays clicking as I pick different bands, but I have not actually run an old pre-CAT rig with it.  I wish it had a frequency counter and selected the band automatically like other modern Solid State amps.
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    James,

It sounds like you are pressing holding the "operate/standby" button.  Just push it once to get it in operate mode.  Once the backlight is green press on the spot on the screen which states "no band data".  There are two, one for each of the PGXL inputs.  You actually push on the touch sensitive screen in the spot where "no band data" is listed.

Keith - AC9S
  • KA9CFD
    KA9CFD Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I cannot get this to work on my PGXL. Nothing happens when I press on the screen in the front of the amp. Is it disabled in the most recent firmware?

Jay KA9CFD
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    On my PGXL if the amp is in operate mode (green backlight) when I press on the field that says "no band data" a screen with the bands and a field labeled "auto" comes up.  I believe I am running the latest version of the firmware - 3.2.15.

Keith - AC9S
  • James Eastham Jr
    edited January 2020
    This behavior definitely does not happen on my amp. I tried it with the LAN cable plugged in and unplugged just in case that was how it is triggered. I must say the documentation on this feature is totally lacking from any literature provided with the amp. I guess I’ll have to check with flex on a technical Support ticket. Thanks for the info. NX 3Z – Jim
  • KA9CFD
    KA9CFD Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I would be interested what you find out James. I tried closing Smartsdr so the PGXL is not seeing the Flex and tried it but I wonder if I really have a touchscreen in this amp! My amp was received in August 2019. Maybe the later runs do not have this feature? I am also using firmware 3.2.15. It was already installed in the amp when I received it.

73 Jay KA9CFD
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I sure agree on the documentation comment.  It is lacking.

Keith - AC9S
  • James Eastham Jr
    edited January 2020
    It’s either not there or it’s broken. We’ll find out....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.