Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using 630M transverter: Is Flex 6500 capable of crossband splt on WSJTx?

Doug Allen
Doug Allen Member ✭✭
edited September 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

ANYONE ELSE USING A MONITOR SENSORS 630M TRANSVERTER?
My Flex 6500 is working on SSB, CW, and digital with WSJT.  It is also working with a 144 nHz Elecraft transverter. 

However, I have a unique transverter problem that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere.  I'm using the Flex 6500 on 630M WSJT (0.474200 mHz) with a Monitor Sensors transverter which requires 5 watts output from the Flex at 1.804200 mHz.  The transverter 60 watt output is at  0.474200 mHz.  It works FB with WSJTx (1.33000 offset) using the Monitor Sensors for both 0.474200 transmit and receive using the transmit antenna for both. 

Nevertheless, the TX antenna is not all that good on receive, and I want to use my Wellbrook amplfied loop antenna for 0.474200 receive. The loop works very well.  I can configure SmartSDR for receive on RxA the input from the loop by using a second slice, 0.474200 for receive and then 1.804200 TX.  This works fine for receiving with the loop, and it should work, I think, on transmit, but the signal is awful, extending over 10 kHz with multiple audio peaks instead of the very narrow single audio peak which is the WSPR or JT9 signal.  I've tried many of the possible audio drive adjustments, but none correct my wide signal, muliple WSPR and JT9 signals that have been decoded on over 20 different WSJT frequencies in the 630M WSPR band by a station 25 miles away and on 4 different frequencies in New England.  This awful transmit signal pollutes the 630M band!

What I want to do requires crossband digital split- transmiting 5 watts on 1804.200 to the Monitor Sensors transverter and Flex Rx A receiving with the amplified loop on 0.474200.

Yes, I know you can run 10 dbm out on 630M and 2200M with the Flex to an amplifier, but this question is about crossband digital split using the Monitor sensors transverter for transmit and the Flex 6500 for receive with an amplified loop for receive.

Any ideas on how to configure the Flex, Monitor Sensors, and WSJTx to get a clean transmission?  Might the Slice Master ap help?   
I sure appreciate this group and all the good advice several of you have already offered in the past.
Doug K4LY

Answers

• Doug Allen
    Doug Allen Member ✭✭

It's a year later and I am trying again to use my Flex 6500 and Monitor Sensors 630M transverter and am still looking for help on how to do this! Any suggestions, ideas, or is it just not possible for the FLEX 6500 to transmit on 1804.2 and receive on 0.474.2 kHz in order to use the Monitor Sensors transverter and my Wellbrook receive antenna?

Doug K4LY

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited October 2020

You have to use the transverter port for TX since you are using a transverter; then set up the 630m band in the transverter form. You can use the RX-A IN if the transverter has a split IF.

Since you are not transverting the RX, that is going to be problematic since the FLEX-6500 only has one SCU and there is no way to sync two slices with a defined offset.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.