Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Cannot get Computer to see Flex 5000a

wn
wn Member
Cannot get Computer to see Flex 5000a

Answers

• Fred Friedl
    Fred Friedl Member
    edited September 2019
    Check your firewire card or cable or both.
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Try the other firewire port.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    First,  check the back of the radio,  get eye level with the FW connectors (you can try either one) but with the radio and computer on , you should see a green status light,  if you do,  unplug the FW cable to make sure that the light goes out.  Should the light stay on or there is no light at all, then most likely the issue is in the radio ..    But this works,  then make sure the FW card shows up in the Windows Device manager,  " 1394 Host Bus controller" ,  might try "Uninstalling"   the FW card and then with the radio off ,  reboot the computer,  be sure to allow the computer time to install the FW card driver again,  then turn the radio on,  see if the computer then discovers the radio ..

Hope this helps,   this can be very hard to diagnose,  so be patient..
    Dudley
    Wa5QPz
  • John Dale
    John Dale Member
    Just going through the same issue. Sent my 5000A in for an issue in Sept 21 an due to Covid did not get it back until June 22!! It had been working fine on Windows 10 but I upgraded the computer to 11 in the meantime. So after hooking back up and checking green light and checking driver install etc and in device manager all seemed OK but after initialization it locks up on the update firmware issue and will not let me open KE9S software. Power SDR. So after many attempts I cleaned off the hard drive did a full reinstall of Windows 10 thinking that would solve it but up against a brick wall. Cannot get past firmware update--says done and then on reopening PowerSDR just says again firmware update needed and will not proceed past that point. I have gone through KE9S website troubleshooting several times and uninstalled and reinstalled. Same issue. Ready to give up and return to using only my Icom 7300 which just works fine and simple. But I loved my 5000A and spent many fun hours with it. Ideas???
    Wanna buy a recently serviced unit???
  • Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Look at the Firewire settings in the Flex Firewire utility. Can you run PowerSDR in Demo mode with the radio turned off? Also, the radio should be off when you first install PowerSDR.

Don't give up. I have had similar issues as well. Running a 5000A on Windows 11 without problems......finally!

James

WD5GWY

• John Dale
    John Dale Member
    Thx James, new firewire card lets it run on Windows 10 which I went back to and will leave, but at present I have no audio with codec speakers selected and even though POwer SDR is running there seems to be an antenna issue so going through all connections, but wondering if running on a not so great wifi is an issue, may move it back into my house and use an ethernet connection then.
  • Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

I don't understand. The 3000 and 5000A don't use ethernet connections. But use a direct connection via Firewire. I can run my 5000A with no network connection at all. Maybe it's possible to run one over a network using TeamViewer or a similar program. But, given all the latency problems that can occur, I wouldn't think it would be reliable.

James

WD5GWY

• John Dale
    John Dale Member
    My mistake and ignorance, of course you are right. I am thinking that the firewire cable may be needing to be replaced to rule out that issue, and I need to retest my antenna connections, but it is very hot this week and short cool time in mornings only!! Thx for hanging in and not making a sarcastic comment on my ignorance about network connections. John
  • Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

No problem John. I can guarantee you I have made plenty of types of mistakes. And as long as I am above ground, I will probably continue to do so!

If you have another Firewire cable I would certainly suggest you give it a try. I use a no name I bought on Amazon. And so far, I have had no problems using it.

Keep trying, you will track this problem down.

James

WD5GWY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.