Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL Utility will not connect

Tim VE6SH
Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
I suffered a power loss while my PC was running. On boot up the PGXL Utility (2.1.8) will not connect. The  program opens and shows the PGXL ready to connect, but clicking on it will not open the PGXL Window. I have rebooted and reinstalled the program with the same result (and powered off and on the PGXL). Any ideas?

Thanks

Tim VE6SH

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Check all your settings in the PGXL utility. Post screen shots if possible. Sounds like the PGXL didn’t pickup an IP address. For now make sure the PGXL is setup to DHCP.

Mack

W4AX

Alpha Team
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Mack, the utility will not open. Clicking on the icon opens the launch window and shows the PGXL as an available device, but clicking on that simply closes the launch window. The utility screen does not appear to be off screen as it does not show in the tool bar.  
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Can you try the utility on a different computer?
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Not easily. I will see what I can do. 
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Is there another Ethernet adapter you can temporarily put on the computer such as a USB-Ethernet?  maby the host Ethernet got **** up during the power fail?
  • W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited September 2019
    I had the same thing happen and swapped out my brand new cat 7 patch cable for an older cat 5e which then showed the amp in the utility.  Perhaps the cat cable wasn't making a proper contact in the PGXL input connector. Nothing in the user manual explains what to do if this happens. Also wondering why PGXL doesn't have a Flex choice of radio or tell what baud rate to set. I've tried several settings which doesn't seem to matter?? 
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Well the saga continues. Flex believed the issue may be a corrupt registry. I did not chase this down as I was upgrading the computer. The PGXL is also new and not the same model that I was using 9 months ago.

Same problem. New computer. Windows 10 Pro. Installed the PGXL Utility. It will open up and show the PGXL with the correct IP to connect to. Clicking on the PGXL results in the program closing. I can connect using a laptop on wifi to the network. The program will open normally. Replaced the CAT cable and same issue.

Baffled. Brand new computer with same issue! To be clear. The program opens and shows the PGXL. It will simply not open the virtual display when I click on it (the program closes). More critical now as I have revamped the shack and the XL is not on the desk. 

Tim VE6SH
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I recently had a no connection issue with a number of devices on my network.  None of the devices that had dhcp reservations had a problem and were connecting ok.  I reset my cable internet modem and my router and all my extenders.  That fixed the problem for me.  For me having reserved ip dhcp ip addresses has help and have never lost a connection and keeps the address the same. Also adding static addresses makes it even more solid connections on the LAN.  
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just a note:  a recent flurry of OS updates Windows and Macintosh, caused some connection issues and a new set of modem and router resets to fix the problem.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I run latest SW on both PGXL and on 6600, do not have any issue with connectivity.
    Check your serial number settings, IP address, LAN cable, network settings.
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I just had this happen due to a nano-power outage. Discovered can be corrected by doing a power-on reset on the amp. Press and hold the the standby/operate button and turn on the rear power switch. The Utility then will reconnect. Have opened a ticked with Flex with this fix.
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks for the all the comments. Bill, I tried your reset with no luck. This is a brand new install of Windows 10 Pro. I have double checked the network settings. The Utility opens and shows the PGXL. It will not open (the same issue I had previously with the old computer). The utility on a laptop connected to the LAN by wifi or cable opens the program just fine. 

I am at a loss. This is a brand new computer. I have my tech guy coming over next week to see if he can troubleshoot. 

Tim VE6SH
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hello Tim-
    My experience was a little different in that the Utility would open but not see the PGXL Amp. Hope you get it resolved soon.
    Bill W2PKY
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    OK. So I got this fixed. The new computer was not a fresh install of the programs, but a b Acronis backup. My computer guy found the issue. He says:

"Power Genius [ie:PGXL Utility] crashing on connect was fixed by deleting the "user.config" config file and allowing Power Genius to re-create it again, in C:users%user%appdata%localFlexRadio_SystemsPowerGeniusDesktop.exe_****""version"

It appears that the file cannot be overwritten once created, regardless of the program being "run as an administrator" and does not get removed on uninstall."

Hopefully that helps others! 

Tim VE6SH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.