Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Denkovi USB8 Relay Board

Options
EBSDallas
EBSDallas Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hello Everyone:

I'm trying to set up a Denkovi USB8 relay board rev. 02/11/2016 to control a DX Engineering antenna switch but I can't seem to get the computer to recognize the board.  The computer is a Windows 10 Pro, v1903, Build 18362.356 box.  The cable/port shows in the Device Manager but the Denkovi Relay Manager software can't find it.  Neither can DDUtil.  The board is connected directly to the computer, not through a usb hub.

I've tried three different usb cables on different usb ports without any luck.  I've tried re-installing the device drivers a number of times without success.  I've tried the board with the same usb cables on two different Windows 7x64 computers here at the house and it works flawlessly with both of them; just not on the Win10 box in the shack.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this to work on the WIn10 box?  If it comes down to it I can revert back Windows 7.  While I'm no fan of Windows 10, I'd rather not go back to Win7 as it's running up on EOL.

Regards.

Everett, KE5MMT

Answers

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Everett

Are the LEDs lit on the board?
    Did you download the driver for the card per the instructions in the manual?
  • Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Everett,

I have been using the PSTRotator pgm to control my remote relays using windows.
    The Denkovi usb8 is on the list.

Try:     https://www.qsl.net/yo3dmu/index_Page346.htm

GL  Tom W3FRG
  • EBSDallas
    EBSDallas Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hello Neal:

Yes, the 12v "Relay Power" and the "USB On" LEDs are both lit. Yes on the driver.
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Everett,

Another, better option I believe, is to connect the Denkovi board directly to the USB port on the back of the radio. That will eliminate the need for a computer or 3rd party software.

Configure the board as a bit cable in SmartSDR USB Cable settings. I run two 2 X 8 antenna switches using this technique. I also use it to switch my VHF/UHF/SHF transverters across five bands 144 MHz - 23 cm.

This the detail in the SmartSDR User Guide.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team PS, you can look on my QRZ page to see a functional diagram.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Mack, thank you for reminding me of this, its solves a need that I have for my station rebuild!
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Neal, Pleased to help. Please let me know if I can answer any questions about my station configuration. My station, very complex configuration, is completely controlled by the 6600 or 6700 without need for a separate computer. It makes remote operation a snap! 73, Mack W4AX
  • EBSDallas
    EBSDallas Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Thanks Mack, I'll look into the direct connection.

Regards.

Everett
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't find the Denkovi reference, what page of the manual is it on?
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Not sure if it's in the manual. Simply plug the Denkovia board USB into the back of the radio. Go to SSDR USB config and select bit cable. You can now define each relay using the configuration drops downs in USB config. That's it.

Mack
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    yes! the Denkovi board works great into the flex, have mine setup to switch antennas automatically when i change bands, seen you are using a usb hub into the flex, havent needed to try that yet, how does the flex handle the hub as far as seeing more than 1 usb on hub? just curious, for future reference!
    Thanks
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    USB hubs work great. I have about 14 USB connections via two hubs. Mack
  • EBSDallas
    EBSDallas Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Well, I was able to get the board working on the Win10 box.  I ultimately uninstalled all of the DRM and Relay Manager software and drivers, downloaded a new copies of them and re-installed them.  Almost everything seems to work now.  the only exception is the latest version of DDUtil, it still can't find the board.

As Mack suggested, I did connect the board directly to the Flex and set it up as a bit cable.  Set up is a piece of cake and it works beautifully.  The only problem that I see is there appears to be no way to easily control a single feed line, multi-band antenna such as a 10-15-20 tri-bander.  It looks like the only option would be to wire the output of three different USB relays to the same control pin on the antenna switch.  The DDutil set-up form looks to offer  more (cough, hack) flex-ibility (pun intended) for controlling the relay board.  Is that correct; or, am I missing something on the set-up form?

Regards.

Everett
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    On my switch, I use frequency setting instead of band, to switch to tri bander, I have it set from 14 to 29999, anytime in that portion of band it's on tri bander,
  • EBSDallas
    EBSDallas Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    That would work and is easy enough to set up.

Thank you.

Everett

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.