Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is an external 10MHz reference needed for a 6700 with GPSDO?

Justin Smith
Justin Smith Member
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have a 6700 with GPSDO, with the latter connected to a dedicated rooftop GPS antenna. Is there some reason that I should connect a 10 MHz external reference standard to the 6700 in addition to the GPSPO system?
Thank you, 
Justin Smith

Answers

• Bill - N4APG
    Bill - N4APG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hi Justin,

There is no reason to connect another reference to your Flex6700 equipped with the GPSDO option.  You have your frequency reference in the GPS Disciplined Oscillator already. 
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I dont think so, the internal GPS creates the Lock Signal,, The 10 MHz external reference is active on mine using an external GPS clock generating a precise 10 MHz reference.. I use the 10 MHz reference for many items, including several radios and test equipment that can use an external reference input.. 

Robert
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
      ! The 10Mhz reference connector is an output on the 6700 !

So you can share the GPSDO of the 6700 with other devices.

Per the manual........
    "If the radio has the optional GPSDO, the 10 MHz reference output is a buffered 3.3V p-p output of the 10 MHz oscillator in the GPSDO. The signal can be used to provide a reference signal for external equipment. The connector is a female SMA."
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Justin, like David said on your 6700 it is a 10 mhz output BUT if you want a really great reason to purchase an outboard GPDSO just use it's "data" output to a com port OR USB com converter on your PC, download the "free" GPS to PC clock software and you will always have your PC's clock dead on. I am on the road right now but I am sure someone will have the link available.
  • Justin Smith
    Justin Smith Member
    edited September 2019
    Thank you Bill, Robert, and David for your helpful comments. The 6700 has both input and output connectors for a 10 MHz signal.
  • Justin Smith
    Justin Smith Member
    edited September 2019
    Clay,
    Brilliant!
    Thank you,
    Justin

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.