Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

version 3 upgrade

Mark Erbaugh
Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I wholly support Flex's periodic pay to upgrade model. Flex needs a revenue stream to support future development.

I have no interest in operating remotely. My shack is a one person operation.

So I know I don't need SmartLink (although I did upgrade to v2, primarily for the pop-out windows and to stay current). I'm pretty sure that I won't use Multi-Flex. Have v3 users found other features in v3 that would make it worth my while (and $200) to upgrade?

Answers

• John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Excellent question as I am in the same boat. I understand that there has been some improvements but at the same time, some things have become worse. For example, I upgraded to V.2.5 but quickly went back to V.2.4.9 due to the DAX RX Gain not syncing which is in the system as bug #7578. I understand that Ver. 3 also suffers from this.

• James Whiteway
    edited August 2019
    I upgraded to v3 for Multi Flex. Not because I want to share my radio (6600M) with other users. But, to allow my GUI app to run at the same time SSDR or the M model's front panel are running. Versions prior to v3 will only run one GUI app at a time. James WD5GWY
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    It's amazing how often this topic surfaces.  The v2 and v3 upgrades have the primary feature of SmartLink or MultiFlex (which may or may not be important to you) but there are numerous other smaller features and fixes incorporated as well. 

Since everyone's needs are different my suggestion is to read through the Version Release Notes, then make your decision as to whether an upgrade is worth it to you.  You can find v3.0.27 Release Notes here: https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr-v3-0-27-release-notes/

• Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thank you for the link to the release notes. What I am really looking for is first hand experience from actual users, not marketing-speak from Flex.

FWIW, I did look at the release document in your link:

ATU Fixes 

Fixed Persistence Restoration over a SmartLink Connection

Quick Record/Playback defect Fixed

Problems with transmitting out of band on 60m

Full Duplex Operation (FDX) Fixed

SSB Monitor Audio feature Fixed

Bug Fixes

Which of these are actually ** NEW ** features for someone considering upgrading. It seems like everything is fixing something that was broken and we shouldn't have to pay extra bucks to get something that we already paid for working the way it was supposed to be in the first place.
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    If I remember correctly, I believe v2.51 had these same 'bug fixes' incorporated into it as well.

For me, I've stayed with 2.49 for now, as I'm not a fan of the 'automatic' updating of profiles built into 2.51.  I'm hoping an option to turn this off will be included in the next 2.x version.

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Is there going to be another 2.x version? I haven't seen anything about that
  • RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I guess we will find out if and when there is a release...it's for sure no one on this group will have an answer concerning an additional 2.X version release.

Regards,
    Ronald
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    3.0 works nice for me.  I do use remote but I could do that with 2.49.  The multi-flex has been interesting and one thing it does allow is I can have SSDR running on my main PC and fire it up on my laptop and it works quite well.

You can also use a Maestro with SSDR too.  You can have your Maestro be one station, your PC another.

I upgraded to 3.x because I want to support Flex.  Whether I choose to stay on 3.0 I still feel like supporting the company that maintains my radio is a good thing.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    The point that we are paying for fixes in a release is not seeing the full picture.
    SSDR is very complicated to code. It makes little sense to have a seperate release for both the feature sets and the fixes.

It would be almost impossible to release a feature version, then a month later release fixes on top of the feature release. And if they could? how can you make sure every fix update will go the same as it did in the lab? The reason is because every time a fix is in play it effects how a feature works. And did the fix break something eles? So it is important to work on any fixes while working on the features at the same time even as different teams are working on different things in the code. Then as much testing is done they can see how things effect what. Then it is released as a version with features and fixes together.

So, if you follow along you can see we are not really paying for fixes in a new version, even as it seems we are because we pay for a version that has fixes in it. They need to be together in the release, it is far more simple this way. Cost effective.

I fully expect some more changes made in Version 2.5.1..... The main reason I think why is because Flex made v2.5.1 with the same sub system as version 3. In doing that they can work on both versions that have much in common as appose to going further back to version 2.5

V3 upgrade?
    I like the idea of having my radio up to date under the hood, the performance things we can't see.
    I like being able to just go somewere in the house or outside and start a new session of SSDR without having to shut down the first instance in the shack.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I think we are getting off the topic of my original question.

This is directed at those who have already upgraded. What new features in version 3 have enhanced your SSDR operating experience, other than Multi-Flex and SmartLink?
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Mark,     I am not aware of any new "features" in V3 to comment on except the ones you are excluding.  I have version 3..  did I miss something else?  or is that the point you are trying to make?
    I am sure V3.X will have other features to enhance my operating experience in future releases but for now I believe the "benefits", if any, have been covered.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    That's interesting. Would you feel the same way if it was a Kenwood, ICOM or Yaesu?
  • Brad Adams (N4PYI)
    Brad Adams (N4PYI) Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I am in the same boat as James. I don't do remote, but I do enjoy using the Maestro and SmartSDR simultaneously. That's why I upgraded to v3 and also to keep current.

Brad, N4PYI
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    I like version 3 for the simple fact I can run FT8 on one computer while using another or my Maestro for voice QSO's.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Pat, I probably would purchase updates from the big three as well.  But in all the years I did own a big three radio the firmware updates were almost non-existent.

I do believe that amateur radio is for many companies a very minor part of their business.   When I lived in Seattle I met the guy that ran the Icom service center and I got to go and take a look.   The overwhelming majority of radios in for service were commercial in nature.  There was a very small section of the building with the ham radios on a a shelf waiting for repair.

I don't know Flex's business model and how much commercial business they do versus ham but I suspect their ham related business is rather small based on price, number of hams etc.  I could be wrong.  But this causes me to want to support them while I can.

• Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for the reply.

Can't this already be done with version 2? SmartCAT and SmartDAX do not have to be run on the same computer (or Maestro) that is controlling the Flex.
  • Brad Adams (N4PYI)
    Brad Adams (N4PYI) Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    You could not have SmartSDR and the Maestro connected to the radio simultaneously with version 2. You can with version 3.

Brad N4PYI

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.