Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Firewire connection. I'm stumped.

This my 3rd Flex 3000 over the last 5 years so I think or, at least, I thought I knew this radio.  Anyway, first of all, I see the green reflection around the FW connection in the back of the radio when it is powered on indicating FW switch is operational.  All was fine until this past Friday when I attempted to start the radio and got the "No devices found" message.  At first, I thought it was the FW card gone bad.  I purchased a new FW card from Amazon and got the same result.  I tried my spare FW cable and received the same result.  I then attempted to connect to my two other computers and the same result.  Two of the computers are Win10 and one is Win7 all with the same result.  Blue light is on in the front of the radio and I do hear the relay click when it is powering up.  I'm stumped.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark
KK2L

Answers

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Mark

The most sensitive part in the radio (IMHO) is the firewire chip. Over the years, I bet I blew 7 of them with the various radios (albeit living in VA means I am in lightning country).

Flex has a partnership with a company that does repair on the firewire radios. I would create an RMA and send it for repair!

BTW, the green light only means there is voltage on the line in the firewire cable, it doesn't mean it works!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    it is possible both fire wire cables are bad,,,make sure they are good.
  • Sasi VK5SN
    Sasi VK5SN Member
    edited July 2019

Mark, Are you running Power SDR from Flex? If so I will recommend installing Power SDR by KE9NS <https://ke9ns.com/flexpage.html> I have had similar issues in the past. My issues were traced to updates from Windows changing the firewire files. Ever since I installed Power SDR from KE9NS I have not had any issues
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Sounds like maybe the wrong FW driver was applied , just go to the 1394a driver in Device Manager, delete the driver (have the radio turned off) , then reboot the computer. Give the computer plenty of time to reboot and reapply the FW driver, then power up the radio and wait ( only physical indication is the reflection of the internal green light visible from the rear ). Open the FW driver (FlexRadio icon on you desktop). Make sure your radio is showing up recognized by the computer/ FW driver. Hardest thing to make work at times and easiest to break. Hope this helps, 73, Dudley WA5QPZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.