Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT with Flex 6500

Doug Allen
Doug Allen Member ✭✭
Problems- Nothing I've tried works for long.. I'm using a Flex refurbished 6500, Windows 10, and Smart SDR 2.4.9.   I've spent over 20 hours trying to get WSJT-x configured and have been successful three times, but then,for reasons not understood, the configuration fails.  I've read and watched everything I could find online.

PART 1- WSJT has always been configured the same: Radio- Flex 6xxx on 127,0.0.1:5003;and Sound Input- DAX Audio RX1 and Sound Output- DAX Audio TX.  I don't think these settings are a problem.  I have DAX ch 1 open on the flag and DAX showing blue as the primary audio source.   I don't think I have a WSJT SETTINGS PROBLEM with any of the above settings.  Please refer to WSJT SETTINGS PROBLEM if you think I'm mistaken

Part 2-  There are multiple windows ans Dell computer sound settings, and I think I have had problems with them..  Right now I have the Windows Sound Playback set to DAX Audio RX1 and Recording set to DAX Reserved Audio TX, the one with the two audio connector icon.   There are two other DEX Reserved Audio TX choices, one with a mic icon and the other with a radio icon which are not plugged in.    WSJT is NOT receiving the Flex audio and WSJT tune does NOT transmit.

Sometimes this combination of settings has worked, but not for long.   If you think I've ,ade a mistake in the PART two settings please be specific and refer to Part 2.  I'm almost 79 years old and probably need  more handholding than you young squirts,  

Part 3-
The following is likely at least one problem.  This is the second time it's occurred..  On the DAX panel, Mic Stream is OFF saying "driver error."  Three days ago I had the same indication, deleted the entire Smart SDR software and the downloaded it again.  For awhile it worked.  Then it didn't work, but there was no indication that there was a driver error."  After rebooting Smart SDR several times, the "driver error" problem showed in the DAX panel.  

Part 4  When I had 40M WSJT working I made a Global Profile and saved it.  I did the same with 6M WSJT, and 2M WSJT using an Elecraft transverter configured and working until today.  Even before the Mic stream "driver error"  appeared on the DAX panel, the profiles no longer were successful is configuring WSJT for those bands.

The only thing that works at the moment is CW.

I would appreciate any help.

Doug K4LY

Comments

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Use Kenwood TS-2000 for the radio, Doug. The WSJT Flex 6XXX driver has some issues. Let me know.

• Doug Allen
    Doug Allen Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Thank you Michael,
    This is weird.  Yes the Kenwood TS-2000 WSJT setting is working and defaulted to COm4 with the TS-2000 setting,
    and now the Flex 6xxx setting on Network Server 5003 is also working again, but the DAX panel MIC Steam says "driver error" on both settings.  What is the Mic Stream for?

ANOTHER CONSISTENT PROBLEM using the Elecraft XV144 transverter is RF OVERSHOOT.  I haven't found an adjustment to reduce it, and fear I'll destroy my transverter.  I'm even more afraid the overshoot will destroy a brick 144 amp and also destroy my 160 watt ARR preamp I haven't dared to connect the 160 watt brick 144 amp yet, but would like to use it in the CQ WW VHF TEST this weekend if I can solve the overshoot problem.   I'' post this overshoot problem to a different Problem Post unless someone here can help.

Doug K4LY
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Doug, in your Part 2 above: Dax Reserved Audio should never be connected to anything - it is reserved for Dax itself. Also, Windows sound output should normally only be directed to speakers, which should also be the Windows default output device. Windows default recording device should be the microphone you use for phone operation, then use the SSDR “PC” setting for phone input and output from/to SSDR (using the Windows default audio devices). Dax (in and out) is used to connect program input and output, i.e. for things such as WSJT-X and Fldigi. Hope that makes sense.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Kenwood vs Flex is irrelavent because this only effect the CAT interface not the audio. DAX is what controls your audio.

In my experience 90% of any Flex audio problem is WINDOWS related. Windows is notorious for screwing up the audio devices. In fact almost every time Windows does an update it screws up my Winlink audio.

The DAX / Mac button determines if audio is input via the Mic jack or the Virtual DAX audio interface. If you want to use WSJT or any digital audio program you have to have DAX on (blue).
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Check your sound drivers to see if a Windows update pooched them. The signature series is a Lamborghini of a radio with a Chevy Metro level computer OS running it. 

Life can improve a lot if you can get a Windows 7 computer, or block updates entirely.
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    You would think it is irrelevant, but how many people have tried to use the presumptive drivers in WSJT, and had problems? Anyhow, it should be on the Kenwood radio setting. 
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    You might have experienced CAT issues but if you are having audio issues the CAT driver has no effect.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Doug....The problems most folks have had with the WSJT Flex driver have had to do with disconnection of the cat data and control stream, not the DAX audio stream. However, disconnection of either connection results in an unusable system. I have not had as much problem lately with the Flex driver. You are more than likely having problems, as others have mentioned, with your DAX drivers getting hosed by Windows 10 updates. Most recently manifesting as the devices basing improperly named, and thus, becoming unavailable. You will need to check them and see if they are all present in Windows Device Manager, and if ghost ports or devices are hiding in the background. Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Correct. The RESERVED device is reserved as the radio’s “end” of the virtual audio cable, so to speak. Imagine them as two ends of a cable...DAX Audio RX1 is the “loose” or “available” end of the cable. DAX RESERVED Audio RX1 is “plugged” into the radio’s internal circuitry. Ken - NM9P
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Doug, As Ken said, your Windows Sound Drivers should have. Your speakers as audio out and some sound card input as the default sound card input. In other words, no Windows green check on any DAX driver, ever. This along will make your sound devices unstable as windows will keep trying to correct it.. On your overshoot your are discussing, if only on SSB, then be sure the audio gain is reduced so that the audio peaks do not go over 0 dbm in the level indicator. Make sure you TX delay is greater than 15 ms. And that the Dexp is on and around 70, the default setting. Your crossed default sounds could be part of the issue in digital modes, be sure sure to use DigU when running digital modes, always start low and work up. 73, Dudley WA5QPZ
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I like using SliceMaster 6000 as the interface between Flex and third-party apps.   It makes all of the CAT and Audio in/out settings for Flex / WSJT-X automatically and correctly for whatever slice/app you are using.

SliceMaster will not correct the Windows audio settings, as many other responders have pointed out as needing attention.
  • Doug Allen
    Doug Allen Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Thanks you Flex community for the many responses. I'm studying them, taking note of my incorrect Windows Recording audio setting (Recording is DAX Reserved Audio TX).  My DAX Control Panel reads "driver error" for the Mic Stream, and I can not connect Windows Sound Recording to anything but DAX Reserved Audio TX.  That setting is working for WSJT on HF, 6M, and also 2M with my Elecraft transverter.  It is also working for SSB and CW, so right now everything is working with the incorrect Recording setting of DAX Reserved Audio TX.

Hopefully, I can get everything to work with the correct setting, but first I think I need to fix the Mic Stream driver error..  Does that require deleting Smart SDR and then downloading it again?

The 0 dBm overshoot to the transverter might be caused by the incorrect Reserved Audio setting or possibly the Elecraft LEDs are mistakenly incication the overshoot?

Doug K4LY
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Doug, open a ticket with Flex... had the exact same issue, Tim connected to my PC and fixed it... It sounds  to me exactly like the Windows rename issue, an update comes along and move/changes/renames your drivers... Tim can quickly resolve the issue for you.

Take a quick peak in Device Manager and your Audio inputs and outputs, it should look like the following, betting there are a few missing or mislabeled..

• Doug Allen
    Doug Allen Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Dudley,
    Thanks.  I just changed the TX delay from 0 to 50 ms.  I need to figure out how to turn Dexp on.  As I just wrote to the community who provided several helpful answers, I need to fix the the Mic Stream driver error apparently before I can change the incorrect  DAX Reserved Audio TX  setting in Windows.  Does repairing the Mic Stream driver error require deleting Smart SDR and then downloading it again?
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Before trying to correct anything else, you should make sure the devices are all correct. Uninstalling and re-installing will not necessarily correct things. Do as some have suggested and open a ticket with Flex to help you out.
  • Doug Allen
    Doug Allen Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Alan,
     Thanks and yes, in the 20 hours or more trying to get WSJT to work, I did read about Slicemaster 6000 and downloaded it, but it did not fix my problems.
  • Doug Allen
    Doug Allen Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Ted.  I need to figure out how do to that, and yes with things working OK except for the overshoot, I'm reluctant to do anything right now that may prevent me from using the transverter's  low power in the CQWW VHF test this weekend.  Higher power with the brick can wait.  
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I've been using the loopback protocol (127.0.0.1:60001) since FT8 was announced and I've never had one iota of a problem with that CAT setup. Using the Kenwood setup is not too steady on a LAN system that the FLEX radios use.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Even on digital modes, control your maximum drive to the XVTR port with the power output control, not audio levels, mic gains, etc. then on digi modes, use the audio controls to go below your maximum power. Always use DigU, not USB/LSB for WSJT modes. It takes the Processor and TX EQ out of the mix. Using mic gain to control maximum power output on SSB will allow random voice peaks to blast higher than your desired average output. Set your maximum power output with the power control slider, or better yet, in the transmit profile or transverter setup tab. Also on SSB, always use PROC at normal, DX, or DX+. It will hold your output more steady, and also adds talk power without distortion, if your Mic gain is adjusted correctly. (I.e. keep it out of the red, and if you are using lots of bass, run the gain even lower.). See my tutorials on YouTube.com/NM9P for comments about proper adjustment of mic gain, PROC, and TXEQ. On the “Tour of Transmit Profiles” video, I even discuss how (not) to make your Flex sound BAD. (They are a little dated, recorded back when the Mic Profiles were saved as part of the Transmit Profiles) Ken - NM9P
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Doug, to create a HelpDesk ticket, visit “https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/”.
  • Doug Allen
    Doug Allen Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Ken,
    Good info and I'll look at your You Tube videos.  I'm doing everything you suggest above.  Several suggested I submit a request to Flex, and I just did.   Hopefully, if I fix the MIC STREAM driver error problem that only allows me to successfully use DAX Reserved Audio TX for Windows Recording will be the solution, so I'll await a reply from Flex on that.  Everything is working at the moment on HF and 6M SSB, CW, and WSJT with the only problem the 2M overshoot.

Doug K4LY

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Yes Lee, DAX is sound, CAT is ersatz Serial port. Doug almost certainly has multiple issues, and changing his rig in the program will be a very helpful thing if he is having troubles. Small steps. Correct all the problems.
  • Doug Allen
    Doug Allen Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Ted,
    Just figured that out and made the request. Thanks.  
    BTW, I seem to have the full selection of audio inputs and outputs, but only Recording one i can select that works is DAX Reserved Audio TX.  The MIC and most of the others (except for the many DAX Audio RX choices) say "not plugged in"  

I'll await the FLEX reply which probably won't be until next week.

Doug K4LY
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Good. If you get Tim on the case, he will sort it out. He is a wiz on the DAX cleanup. I have used his techniques several times here. I’m an Alpha Tester, and also have been getting the early Windows releases, here. Do my DAX drivers get pounded a lot, here. But things have gotten better over the years, and it is easier to recover once you learn the routine.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    The way to tell if there is an error in mapping name to function of the Dax devices is to look at the _description_, not the name. If the description does not match the name, you have the Windows naming problem. You can see this by going to the Windows Audio control panel (Right click the speaker/sound icon in the tray, select “Open sound settings”, click “Manage sound devices” link, then verify the bold title (name) matches the description underneath).If you happen to pick the Reserved device, and that happens to be a (incorrectly) renamed normal Dax audio device, you could have a functioning system, even tho the names are wrong. The answer is to have it fixed, then point to the right Dax device in your digital apps. But if it is working for you now, and you need to use it, just wait until you are ready. ,The Mic stream problem may well be the same thing - I don’t do phone from the computer, so have no experience with Mic Audio Dax streams.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    @Doug - there are a few community members who also help folks with Windows problems (the DAX name scramble) - check out some of the other threads where people have DAX issues.  One of our community does an IRC style chat to help.

As a caution, unless you are pretty good with the fine details of Windows AND have made a backup/restore-point, be cautious about digging too far or deleting/changing too much lest the additional attempts do more damage to your system.  

I had one of my machines completely frustrate me with DAX issues (an HP Elite mini) and I was really glad to get Tim's expert help Teamviewer.  Watching the process I am also glad I asked for help, as their remote assist process involves checking a lot more than I would have known how to even find.  Additionally many of their check prior to taking any corrective steps are conditional evaluations.  

GL and hope you get sorted out quickly,

Steve
    K9ZW

http://k9zw.wordpress.com 
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Doug 

I'll be in the #Flexradio IRC channel watching for your connect the rest of the day. Just click the link in my post signature to connect with a web browser IRC client.

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.