Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is it possible to connect a straight key along with paddles?

Jim Miller
Jim Miller Member ✭✭
edited July 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I currently use CW paddles on my Flex 6400M but would also like to have a straight key ready to use.  Is there any way to connect a straight key and keep the paddles on also?

Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yes, connect it to the Accessory connector on the back panel. Pin 4 is the keying input, and use one of the ground pins (pins 5, 6, 7, 8 or 10) for the ground side. See section 7.3.5 of your Flex-6400M / Flex-6600M User Guide.
  • Jim Miller
    Jim Miller Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Thanks Craig!  I am still new with the Flex and having some problems gettings connected.  I really appreciare your reply.]
    Jim-WA5EF
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    You could also fabricate/buy  a Y cable.  Of course you would need to see if the Settings....Radio Setup....Phone/CW....menu selections need to be changed depending upon which you want to use.
  • Jim Miller
    Jim Miller Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I considered that but wouldn’t that require a reconfiguration of the settings for CW? Thanks-Jim
  • Dick Bean
    Dick Bean Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    My Accessory input already has a connector installed for my amplifier, so in looking at the settings there does not seem to be a way to use the front panel key receptacle for a straight key. Is that correct?  
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Yes there is a way. From the SmartSDR User Guide:
    "To transmit in CW mode using the keyer built-into the Flex-6000 radio, you will need either a straight key or an iambic paddle. Refer to the FLEX-6000 Hardware Reference Manual for wiring instructions.

To use a straight key, uncheck the IAMBIC control in the CW transmit panel."

However, you can use the Accessory connector for both the amplifier and CW key input (and any other functions provided) simultaneously. Just add the necessary wires to the connector.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.