Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Configure a K3S to be comparable to a 6400?

N8FNR
N8FNR Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I was wondering what would it cost to build an Elecraft K3S to have pretty much the same capabilities as a Flex-6400? I know that this is an apples vs pineapples comparison as they are both kind of aimed at different operating styles. The K3S can be easily operated portable, the 6400 not so much. When I configured one it came out well north of $6K.  So what would one have to order to make a K3S roughly comparable to 6400? https://elecraft.com/products/k3s-transceiver You have to scroll down and click on Price List/Order on the right to come up with the items that you can order.

BTW this is just a thought experiment. I am not looking at buying anything as I am very happy with my 6400. I really love the ease of using my 6400 with a laptop in my living room. Getting out of my basement hamshack dungeon is sweet!

Answers

• FRED  W9TB
    FRED W9TB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Elecraft makes good stuff but for what they cost you can get a 6700. They are so small you have to ware reading glasses to see how to use one and on top of that they are ugly !

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Your pricing sounds about right... you can spend a lot of money on filters,etc to make them usable in contests.

I have used K3S in Contests.. workflow and performance are great..

EXCEPT
    1.  Don't ever make the mistake of pushing a button too long - in which case, you get stuck in the very confusing menu systems trying to get back to where you were.

2.  Unlike the Flex, it is really difficult for a first time user to work them as there are so many hidden levels of menus... so you need to train the Newbies well before you let them contest.

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I am wondering how their new KPA1500 SS Amp is working out on the market and how dependable it might be

• Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    You have a point about so small you have to wear reading glasses to see how to use one. 
  • Doug - W5WTX
    Doug - W5WTX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019

I've been running a KPA1500 with my 6600M since last November.  No issues.  Some report noisy fans with exhaust coming out the front.  Not an issue for me due to the physical arrangement of my equipment and the fact I wear headphones 90% of the time.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.