Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR V3 Pros and Cons

Answers

• Robert-KP4Y
    Robert-KP4Y Member
    edited April 2019
    That’s weird, I had that product for a number of years and had no issues, even with a super early beta version of the new firmware and software. I’m still on their reflector and everybody is having a blast with minimal issues. BTW, the developers have been resolving these issues immediately. Talking about being nimble with customer request. BTW, have you not heard that Flex users also have problems with their radios and SSDR? Many of these are operator issues.

You may wonder, why then did I move to Flex, two words remote capability! Yes, this is an areas in which Flex has an absolute competitive advantage. I’m saying this in good faith because I know that Flex has the resources and capacity to do much better. However, I was really disappointed to see that they were used to develop an application that only a minority of users will exploit or enjoy.

Robert-KP4Y
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    If I was willing to go back to buttons and knobs (no way) I would go back to my dearly loved FTDX 5000 - now that was/is a great radio.  It was the LP-Pan add on that introduced me to SDR.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Robert, to be fair, I don't own an Anan and I think it;s a wonderful radio. My comments were based on info from a person on this community that is a tester for the Anan group, he has kept me to date as to the progress of the latest version, not being able to use Pure Signal for a time and many things. It does have it's problems as well.

I think what we are seeing is some misinformation about V3. There are many things about it that should apeal to none contesters. But It will take time for people to use it and explore many uses for it, other than contesting.
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hey Ken, why did you sell your flex 6600 today?
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I think V3 was a big disappointment, all this wait for nothing more then a headache.  Oh and by the way, the Apache Labs radios are among the best out there, you just can't be a appliance operator.   If you are. move on because its not for you.   And yes, I have owned just about all of their radios.   Just sold a 7000DLE and may get a new Mark II or a 8000...
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Sorry my mistake I should have said Steve, WW1SS, why did you sell the 6600?  Version 3 make you dump it?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Whew...I thought I might have done something regrettable in my sleep....LOL
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Bad dream Ken?
  • Jeff NJ2US
    Jeff NJ2US Member
    edited April 2019
    Bill, VA3WTB, Your characterization of Anan developers is lacking facts and could not be further from reality Bill. The Apache Thetis/PowerSDR Devs are dedicated and have frequently released firmware/application revisions within HOURS in response to field reports from users. In fact, with the major release of firmware Protocol 2 1.8 and Thetis 2.6.4 in progress right now, the Dev group is reacting in real time to address software/firmware issues as they are being reported by users, including myself. Updates arrive fast and furious. Adaptive Pre-Distortion, plus low latency live monitoring of transmitted signal, superior native TX audio speech processing, and unparalleled DSP noise mitigation remain the gold standard in Amateur Radio SDR. I'm not here to bash Flex, I am lucky enough to have and operate both the Apache 7000DLE and a Flex 6600. I love both of them, and each serve a specific purpose.

Jeff NJ2US   
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019

One of the outstanding features of SmartSDR and Flex is the ability to remote easily. I would have purchased V3 had it the ability to bring up more than one remote on a PC, Maestro, or iPad/iPhone. It would be very nice for the client  to have geographic diversity. If it becomes an enhancement on V3, I will not hesitate to purchase it.

Jim, K6QE
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2019
    Note that you can connect to multiple remote radios with SmartSDR for Windows on v3.0.  ;)
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Eric, I'm sure I understand,,,how many?
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I guess I'm far less a power user than other readers.  My V3 experience so far gives:
    Pro: 
    - I can now run my Maestro and 6600M at the same time so it seems like I have two radios.  Very nice.  

Cons:
    - My 6600m and Maestro are both less than a year old and here I had to pay $200 to upgrade them.  What's next, a hardware upgrade for ten times that much?  New software eventually begets new hardware.
    - I think Flex filters are very good, but I would like some attention paid to improving CW reception.  For example, get rid of ringing and maybe include something so by pushing a button you can zero beat a station. 
     Jim  AD0AB
  • Steve - G8KNC
    Steve - G8KNC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Ralph,

"I wish people would stop posting threads like this. " . . . "If you don't need V3, just don't buy it.  And if you do, buy it. ". .

I don't think you have read the opening post where Steve is asking for people's experiences; their pros and cons. 

Presumably, until you actually upgrade and get to using V3, you're not really going to know whether you "need" it or not, and hence whether to buy or not to buy.  A bit of a vicious circle unless it's one of the headline features which is driving you to upgrade.

Personally, I see no persuasive "for" arguments for me to upgrade.  However, I am a great one for wanting to tinker around with the latest and greatest, and I guess I am just looking for that one little feature that'll give me the excuse to go for it!  So, for me, a very useful, interesting and informative thread.

By all means, if the topic is of no interest, feel free not to read it!

Steve
    G8KNC

• Robert-KP4Y
    Robert-KP4Y Member
    edited April 2019
    Jeff, I totally agree with you. Actually, I'll sell my 6600 and get a used 6500. Then I'll use the remaining cash to get an Anan 7000. Like I said, the Thetis/PowerSDR development team has been been more nimble with customer requests. It's funny because I've been hearing for the last 6 years, hey what if one of those developers retire or even die, who's going  to continue upgrading the platform? Well, they have been around for a long time and they are going strong and more developers are joining the team, including Simon Brown with SDR Console. 

The irony is that they are a bunch of volunteers doing that for free! I had an Anan 100D for more than two years. I loved it and saw amazing new features being added all the time. The only reason I sold it was because it lacked remote capabilities. Hence, that's why I'm planning to keep a Flex in the shack. Again, I totally believe Flex can do much better job. But, they need to start listening to the customers and prioritize SSDR updates accordingly. 

Robert-KP4Y
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    My single/simple Con for the moment:
    I’m waiting until the first full documentation PDF for v3 is released: https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/

and in the meantime living vicariously through all the postings by early adopters! ;-)
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Still waiting on promised Squelch......a ANF that worked half as good as my non flex radios would be nice.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2019
    Just tired of all the issues that NEVER get corrected and when Gerald Chimes in it is the same Blah . . .Blah . . . Blah . . . Bugs and issues never seem to get fixed. DO you remember when the last time was that Flex came out with an Update that just addressed the issues everyone is complaining about. I don't . . . Squelch, NB, ANF, DSP, my intermittent network issues and just shutting down. I have a lot invested here and feel this is just BS that nothing gets corrected. Right now I have to connect to a remote site via Remote Hams to have a rag chew with my fellow hams because the noise mitigation sucks. My K3 it mitigates the same noise.Just new features. I don't know if I will still be alive when the issues get corrected. By then the 6xx will be obsolete and the 7xx will be out.
  • Kuby, N6JSX
    Kuby, N6JSX Member
    edited April 2019
    V3 PRO: will not buy - unknown; but I'm not into sharing my shack (which walks a dangerous fine line of station control & Part 97.105/109, per me past OOC). 

PwrSDR & V1/V2/V3 CON: Until FLEX makes "SSB DSP NR/ANL" functional/usable (just parrot Icom/Kwood/Yasue) I will not buy any version of SmartSDR or upgrade beyond the 6300 that sits in a box. Fix the users (owners) biggest complaints, FIRST!

V1/V2/V3 CON: Flex has no scaled down "newbie mode" to help overcome a newbies monumental learning curve.Let the newbie learn in increments - when they are ready to move into MORE.  

FLEX CON: No 'Newbie" forum to tutor newbies into setup to first OPs (in all modes) [FLEX get some of the pompous guru's who worship all things FLEX to create PPT &  HOW-TOO video's. Then FLEX by 're-titling' these items create a newbie 1,2,3,4... library. You want to sell - then TEACH, how can you loose? 
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Just as a counterpoint to the K3 versus Flex noise mitigation mentioned by Steve above, I also have both a K3/P3 and a Flex 6xxx. My antenna is in the attic (HOA) and on 80m I can’t hear a thing with the K3, but with WNB on with the Flex, I have no real noise issues from the house - it is (almost) all suppressed. What this really points out is everyone has different noise, and different radios deal with it differently. That said, I’d love it if the NR on the Flex was better, but the WNB is outstanding for me.
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    I think there would have been a lot less conversation here if the documentation had been issued along with the V3 software.... I’ll wait for the user manual before I make sent decisions
  • Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks so far for anyone who has participated in this conversation.  It is really good to have all Pros and Cons in one place.  Hopefully those who are contemplating V3 will come here and read this to determine if V3 is something they want.  FlexRadio personnel can also get a lot of information and not have to go thru every message in the community.  It seems to have taken on the format of Pros, Cons and comments, which is fine.  Thanks again for all who have participated.  Looking forward to more comments, and again No debates please.  It is also clearly understood that there are many other wants and complaints about the software in general but this thread is about V3.  We all know that Flex SDR is a great platform or we would not own the radios.  Before it is said there is always room for improvement which will hopefully come in a timely manner.  73's to all
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    It is totally abnormal for new releases to make breaking changes in their API.

Ask Don VE3VRW when DogparkSDR will support v3.
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    DXLab Commander controlling SmartSDR v2 provides most of the functionality you seek, Larry.

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FlexSignature

• Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited April 2019
    I finished the Client parser today (it will be used in MacLoggerDX and dogparkSDR).  it's working in both V3 and V2 - where it isn’t really needed but doesn’t do any harm. Supporting V2 and V3 at runtime is not trivial but we are committed to doing it. MacLoggerDX will be a few weeks but I can't promise a release date yet for dogparkSDR.

73 de VE3VRW Don Agro
  • David Hickman
    David Hickman Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Well @AA6YQ, I guess you have never admin vSphere.  It is normal and expected for vendors to break third party apps every time a new update or patch is out.  

Vmware just released 6.7U2 and as usual it breaks Veeam. Veeam is critical for a production vSphere setup.  In the software world this is common.  

This is also why I never set up my flex to be controlled as smart sdr or flex, I alway use the Kenwood TS-2000 compatible mode.

• David Hickman
    David Hickman Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    If you run  digital modes and use a maestro, ipad, or second computer this does make a difference. The settings for the device you are on stays with the device. This alone is nice. Before this, I would have to make a bunch of setting changes every time I switched devices or operating modes.

• David Hickman
    David Hickman Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Well to be fair, 3.0 finally fixed the hissing/dropped audio that would happen randomly about 10-30 minutes after the radio is first booted. I guess the fix is due to a rewite of the audio subsystem.

• Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    So your point is that because VMWare does a poor job of managing an API, it's ok for Flex to do a poor job of managing the SmartSDR API?

There are software companies that don't effectively test their products, or document them. Should Flex adopt those "worst practices" too?

If you meekly accept poor quality software, expect to receive more poor quality software.
  • NA5RF
    NA5RF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The V3 software is wonderful. Upgrade process is bulletproof and so easy compared to my old ANAN 200D protocol boot loader nonsense. The ability to have multiple radio sessions at the same time in different rooms is amazing. My Flex 6600 hardware is rock solid running V3. Have had no problems with the new version.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.