Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

reduced receive appears to be all bands, both antennas

Dave Garber
Dave Garber Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Today I made the mistake of trying to make a contact, on the wrong antenna. the radio came up on the screen with the detecting high current, so shutting down ( paraphrasing).  i have tried to just restart the radio, I have tried resetting the radio, flashing green, then flashing white, then solid green

even tried again turning off the power supply, and no results.    my signals are down to s4, right now, but 20 over s9  on my KW radio.   I have had this error once before, but always recovered.

Comments

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    You didn't mention the model of Flex you have, but assuming your Flex has a built in ATU, it sounds like the ATU isn't activated (matching your antenna).  Another option, try performing a full reset.  
  • Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    FLex 6300.  I thought I 'ticked' the box....   and way transmit and antenna tuner seems to work, there is receive, but very low. also my 30 and 40 meter antenna require no tuner at digital portion of the band, and 20 meter on vertical requires none as well
  • KC7ES
    KC7ES Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Have you tried reloading your profiles (assume they are backed up). Sometimes that fixes weirdness.
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    shouldn't a high SWR fold-back power limiting the current to prevent any self destruction ?
  • Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Some more info would help. I don't understand if your radio is down on transmit, receive or both. I think you are saying that you know the VSWR on 30 and 40 is okay. Some basic fault finding. On Tx into a dummy load, what happens? Can you confirm the Rx situation? Check that the antenna you wish to use is actually selected.Don't rely on your Profiles. Actually de select the antenna port and reselect it to ensure it is actually connected.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Check your receive EQ to see if it is turned on and the settings for the bands are right. I have noticed that the receive EQ if not on the receive is low. Adjust the different band settings to your liking.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Maybe you took out the RX protection diodes?
    If so you would not be the first or the last.
  • Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have full transmit, on all bands, receive is their, I can still decode ft8, but my noise floor is reduced to almost nil. and that is not normal in the city here.  40 meters is usually s8 or higher.  now as low as s2.   30 is reduced like this as well

tried swapping antenna ports, and no difference, on 3 antennas

• Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I assume it did, and that is why the error came up, but this time it must have taken something out with it

• Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    full reset and reload tried

• Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    can they be replaced locally? I can do lots of repairs, and have some parts here.  would they be easy to Identify

• Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I suggest that you open a Help ticket with Flex. Follow their advice.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I second the recommendation to open a Help Desk Ticket.
    They will help diagnose a probable cause and/or configuration glitch.

It could be something simple, or something more complicated.

If the ESD Diodes are fried, they are not a field replaceable item. 
    It takes a trip to the Repair facility for replacement, testing, and realignment.

I lost mine a few years ago from a nearby freak lightning strike. They did their job and sacrificed themselves to protect much more expensive parts of the radio.

The repair was about $200-250 US, mostly labor. The parts were inexpensive, but the expertise was invaluable.

Well worth it considering that they protected my $4400 Flex 6500 from further damage.
  • Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    rx eq is at zeroes....   and off
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Dave have you started your help ticket yet?
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Follow Ken's suggestions,  call Flex Support..   One last thing to try,  if you haven't already ,  remove the DC from the radio for a while,  more than just a minute,  then try it again,  if still low receive,  sounds like an all expense trip to a Flex workbench..  Sad to say ..  Let us know.

Dudley
  • Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Yes
  • Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    tried that, and even on different computer.  still no luck  ticket has been created

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.