Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexLogger Analog S meter

Mark_WS7M
Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Hi All,

I've had a number of requests for FlexLogger to include an analog S-Meter.

Here is a first pass.  I think I can make it much neater but the idea is you can do:

instantaneous readings
Peak hold (3 seconds)
Running average

Each has its uses.   Instantaneous is good for quickly changing signals but it relies upon you as the human to decide the value since it is moving all over the place.

Peak hold will show you the peak value over a period of 3 seconds.  In the example movie the CW station was strong so the peak held at about S5 continuously.

Running average is interesting as you can get a little more interactivity on the meter than peak hold but you can smooth out the readings you see in instantaneous modes.

Any thoughts and comments?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxly81kp2zjzttc/AnalogSMeter.mp4?dl=0

Mark

Comments

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Great add on, will you be adding the PGXL metering to this too by chance. 

Great Job with FlexLogger by the way

Bret
    WX7Y
  • Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Where is the best place to download flexligger?
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    This is not the version you see here but it is coming soon:

http://www.ws7m.net/flinstallers/FlexLoggerSetup-0.1.0.5.exe

Documentation still coming but read the welcome screen carefully
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Bret,

I would LOVE to add PGXL monitoring but i have no clue what it is...

I guess I gotta buy one when they are available.

I'm gonna need someone to paypal me like $6500 for FlexLogger so I can buy a PGXL
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Love the peak average setting.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    yea I hear you, in SmartSDR it auto detects and brings up the another window on the right side. 
    In Flexmeter V1.2 the Fwd power for the Radio reading number is 1 reflected is 2
    for the AMP it shows the Number is 0x69774F9F, not sure if this is a HEX number for my particular Amp or what just an observation. 
    The Flexmeter reads Power from the Amp when set for AMP if that makes sense.
    Anyway 73's and thanks for the great work on FlexLogger.

WX7Y

• Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Looks good Mark - great work.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Nice ! 

How about a choice to apply the settings (Instantaneous,Peak hold, Running average) to the bar graph S meter as well.  Also, maybe put the analog meters on their own panel for those of us that run popped out panels. 

A multi-function (ref, forward, peak, average, swr) analog powerswr meter would be cool.  Oh and some skins to make the panel look like an old Heathkit AT1 transmitter. 

See what you started Mark ! :)

Looking forward to the next release of FL !
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Well Joe,

That is a very good question.

Would it make sense to have 8 more "panels" one for each S-meter for each possible slice?

you can certainly decide to show them or not.

I definitely like the meter.  I do wonder if it is too big but I was thinking about people with massive displays that could park their slice window somewhere and still be able to see the s meter.
  • James Whiteway
    edited March 2019
    Mark, I'm out on the road. Could you post a screenshot of your meter?
    James
    WD5GWY

Got home finally and downloaded the "Screenshot" you posted in your first post. Color me embarrassed! I rarely download anything to my phone while on the road.  Should have realized what you posted! Looks good!
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Sorry James.  I didn't see this earlier:

The graph in the lower right is a 10 second running graph of the signal strength.
  • James Whiteway
    edited March 2019
    Not a problem Mark! Very nice app you are sharing.
    I received my April QST today. It looks like Yaesu has stolen your 3D waterfall you showed me some time back! Might be attorney time! :-)
    James

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Here is the more refined look at the slice meters:

At the top is the analog meter.  Just below it is the bar graph meter.  Then a numerical display of both S unit and dBm.   Controls for how you want to display your data.

The final item is a 10 second running graph of signal strength with min/max lines.  This graph also falls under the settings so you can control whether it is updated instantly, peak, or running average.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I like the meter layout much better. The running graph of signal strength is very useful ! Very nice Mark.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.