Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SWR Meter Dancing when talking.

Dave
Dave Member ✭✭
On some bands I noticed my SWR meter tends to dance when I talk, this does not happen when using the TUNE button.  Antenna tuner shows perfect match.  Any thoughts? 

Answers

• Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    When you press the tune button, the radio transmits a continuous carrier at what power you have set, e.g. 10 watts.

When you stop the tuning cycle, the radio drops back to whatever mode you are wanting to use. If your TX power is set to 100 watts then it is quite possible for the SWR to dance a little, more power = more possibilities for reflected power which is of course SWR.

I would not worry unless, for example the 'tuned' value of SWR is 1.2:1 at 10 watts and the 'dancing' SWR is, for example 3.8:1. In this case I would start by checking all plugs, connectors and the antenna itself.

Tim
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    I think Paul has it right. But it is not clear from your post whether the SWR swings higher during voice operation than it does while tuning. That would be something to fix. SWR is a ratio. The amount of power wouldn't directly affect SWR but it could be getting back into your rig and causing problems.

If the SWR while talking dances well above the SWR while tuning, I'd consider it something to work on. If not, you're probably good.

Before going through all the RF controlling techniques I'd try the easy stuff. Have you moved equipment around lately? Even nearby non-ham equipment. Sometimes just moving around equipment or rerouting cables can make a difference. Dummy loads help with troubleshooting too. Is it happening with CW or digital with the mic disconnected? 

Good luck,
    Kev K4VD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.