SmartSDR v3.4.23 and the SmartSDR v3.4.23 Release Notes | SmartSDR v2.9.1 and the SmartSDR v2.9.1 Release Notes
SmartSDR v1.12.1 and the SmartSDR v1.12.1 Release Notes
Power Genius XL Utility v3.7.32 and the Power Genius XL Release Notes v3.7.32
Tuner Genius XL Utility v1.1.16 and the Tuner Genius XL Release Notes v1.1.16
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.
Can't get USB Interface for the KPA500 to talk
I bought an FTDI USB cable off of Amazon and a null modem adapter to go between the cable and my KPA500. The radio seems to see the cable ok as it displays the cable serial number. CAT is enabled and the speed is 9600 source TX ant and ANT1. Have logging turned on and whenever I change bands it logs for instance 20:38:32 (TX): FA00010108000;.
Changed the settings on my KPA500 to be as shown in the Flex USB Cables Interface for the FLEX-6000 guide. RADIO"is set to SERIAL, SER POLL is set to ON and baud rate is set to RS232 X 9600.
Have Flexlogger running on my PC and it is talking to the rig but the KPA Amp tab does not see the amp either.
However when I change bands on the rig it does not change it on the amp.
I know that I can use DDUTIL to change the bands automatically but I want to use SSDR on two different PC's.
Any idea what I have wrong with my setup? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator adminYou will need a Null modem adapter which crosses pin 2 and 3 on the 9 pin connector. Make Sure you are also connected to the transceiver port on the amplifier.1
WX7Y Member ✭✭✭I AM PROBABLY WRONG but Flex Logger trys to talk to the AMP direct on the computer and not through the radio so unless the USB cable is connect to the computer DDUTIL or FlexLogger wont talk to it to the AMP directly.
If it's changing bands when your changing bands on the radio it self then it is working as designed.
Patrick Member ✭✭✭Best way is from the radio usb with proper config of the usb in SmartSDR. I also controlled the KAT500 tuner same way. Flex also monitors the usb com between radio and amp and tuner. This setup eliminated the need for use of DDUtil.1
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator adminRequired Cables:
● FTDI USB to Serial Cable
● Null Modem Cable (Pins 2 and 3 crossed, pin 5 straight through)
● Connect the FTDI USB to Serial Cable to the Null Modem cable, and connect the Null Modem cable to the “RS232 (XVCR)” port on the back panel of the KPA500
● Set the baud rate in the “RS232 X” menu entry. All speeds (4800-38400) should work. Set this value to 9600 to match the default value of the FLEX-6000.
● Go to the "RADIO" menu and set the option to "SERIAL"
● Go to the “SER POLL” menu and set polling to “ON”
● Set the Cable Type to “CAT”
Leave a Comment
- 20.1K All Categories
- 186 Community Topics
- 2K New Ideas
- 389 The Flea Market
- 6.7K Software
- 5.6K SmartSDR for Windows
- 109 SmartSDR for Maestro and M models
- 276 SmartSDR for Mac
- 210 SmartSDR for iOS
- 208 SmartSDR CAT
- 143 DAX
- 332 SmartSDR API
- 8.2K Radios and Accessories
- 6.7K FLEX-6000 Signature Series
- 678 Maestro
- 37 FlexControl
- 807 FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
- 575 Genius Products
- 323 Power Genius XL Amplifier
- 208 Tuner Genius XL
- 44 Antenna Genius
- 168 Shack Infrastructure
- 108 Networking
- 285 Remote Operation (SmartLink)
- 109 Contesting
- 453 Peripherals & Station Integration
- 105 Amateur Radio Interests
- 721 Third-Party Software