Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Version 3 and Contesters and Bugs

[Deleted User]
edited June 2020 in Contesting
I have heard that none of the bugs like ANF,NB, or any of the other bugs were fixed in V3. Instead Flex is more concerned with the contesters and MultiFlex than they are with us regular users. This was told to me by a good ham friend of mine already running V3 and under a NDA. Said he noticed no difference in any of the bugs and they are still there.

Answers

• Don Cunningham
    Don Cunningham Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Steve,
    In the "FAQ's" for version 3, Flex says in response to a question about another release of version 2 "Yes, we will be releasing SmartSDR v2.5 later in 2019. SmartSDR v2.5 will be a maintenance release which will include a number of performance improvements and bug fixes."  Maybe the fixes you mention will be fixed there??  Hope that helps, it did help me.
    Don
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I don't believe the noise filters have been worked on. No surprise as these will be large projects and consume a lot of resources.
    I expect your friend may get yet another v3 update as it is not ready for public release yet.
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    ANF,NB, Yup large projects since fall 2014 all ready. Still waiting here.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    It would be very beneficial if Flex would just tell us what bugs (not features) they are and are not addressing in each release prior to the actual release.  I see no reason to not tell us. The guessing game is getting old.

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Be serious, there is no way Flex is going to give us a clue where they are going in the future. Personally, I won't upgrade to version 3. If something comes out in 3.something that I want, maybe then I will pull the trigger. Otherwise, I will wait for version 4.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I am not talking about "where they are going in the future" . I'm talking about telling us which of the existing and documented bugs they are addressing.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Same thing. They tell nothing about what they are doing next.
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    If the bug fixes will be in V2.5, why wouldn’t they also be in V3. I didn’t think dsp work on the NB et al to be bug fixes, rather performance upgrades. I’d love to see these in V2.5, or V3.
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Agree. Most of the speculation and apparent user irritation could be reduced with more Flex communications.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    And from the recent posts it seems that it's really starting to annoy customers.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Dont hold your breath on this one...  I think these have gone and other more "exotic" projects taken their place. 
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Flex doesnt make money on Bug Fixes, only on new versions, thus you know where the programming effort takes place. 
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    This isn't really fair, to say that bug fixes do not impact the bottom line. Of course they do, and any successful company knows this. It's a balancing act of development resources, marketing imperatives, and support resources. It's not easy unless you have unlimited money to pour into the problem, and even then it's no sure thing the right balance will be struck. I've worked for over 40 years in software development of the type Flex is engaged in, for large companies and tiny start-ups. It's really hard to please everyone, and at some point you must put the money where you think your future is - and sometimes it is **** the torpedoes, full speed ahead, as long as you have a good idea where you are going. In all cases, the company that truly cares for its customers is more likely to succeed. Personally, I think Flex cares for its customers.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Money has nothing to do with telling the customers what bugs are being attended to for the next release.

It's not like giving out company secrets that could help a competitor. It's simply keeping current customers up to date as to which bugs are being fixed so customers that already paid $$$ are not left in the dark.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    That's what release notes are for - to say what bugs have been fixed and what features have been added. And they aren't made public until the product is released - that's why they are called "Release notes". At the last minute something can change, so they are kept back until everything is tied in a bow.
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2020
    And Bill thinks I am disruptive to the Community! I am not the only one that feels strongly about these issues. James WD5GWY
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    They will be in the release notes, what benefit would there be to say a few weeks before hand? And some bugs are being finished just before the public release.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I'm glad Ted get's it, many times bugs are worked on just before a release. Perhaps that same day. So telling about what bugs are being worked on makes little sense. That is just how it works folks...
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    James,,your feelings have been well noted. I hope your comments in the near future will be more positive ones and the community will benefit.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2019
    James

I am NOT trying to be disruptive. I just feel the same as you about them.

Bill

I was told the facts about the bugs. Maybe they will get fixed before the final release . . . Probably not. They have been there for years and will continue to be there.

Why is it when someone says something that is not constructive we are being disruptive and threatened to be removed from the group. CENSORSHIP

If V3 were not included in my latest Flex Purchase I would probably not purchase it.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2019
    Don,
    Don't hold your breath. The bugs people have been complaining about have been there for years.
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    If they were well note they would be resolved.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Steve, James...mentioning over and over again the same things is very disruptive indeed because the comments have already been noted. That is an indication that there are other motives for continuing to do so. If it is to force Flex to move in the direction you want then you will be doing this a long long time. It is not because Flex does not care about your concerns, it is because they have a business to run in witch none of us have anything to with, not our problem. Gerald I'm sure knows that it does not matter what they decide to do their are always unhappy people some were over something.

I think that there is a difference of opinion what a bug is as well. To me the performance of some of the noise mitigation filters are not bugs, but simply functions that could be worked on more to improve them. Not a bug. They are intentional as to how they work, just no working the best at this time.

For most operators WNB is wonderful, it is here for sure. With the great receivers we have with the aid of the AGC-T we can bring most noise down to a good level without any of the other filters on. For Squelch, most simply use FR stacks as an example, problem solved.

Bugs are two types according to Flex. Critical and non critical. A critical bug that effects the performance of the radio is dealt with right away. I recall one release were the RF power slider always moved to 100% on startup, I was the first to report that. Flex made a release with that fix in a week.
    And I was the first to report a problem with the record and on air playback function, This is a non critical bug and can wait till the next release to fix it. But some bugs that are just simply annoying ones may take a long time to fix depending on how it fits into the plans.
    I really do not know of that many bugs that are outstanding that effects my operation here. May you know of more?

I am not planning to buy v3 either at this time. But I am not going to criticise their work on v3 as it sets Flex apart from everyone else. No one is doing this kind of thing with their radio, and most simply can't. This is ground breaking stuff and it is just the start.
    So even though I can't make use of this release so much I give them credit for their work on it. If you stop and think about what can be done with this v3 and it is just a start, it is really amazing stuff, really look at it.

Steve you are very correct that there is outstanding things in SSDR that we have been waiting for a long time, and who knows maybe they never will?
    But they run things at Flex, we don't, I have some things I want done as well but either way I'm happy with the performance of my radio, I still have not seen anything I would move to at this time. My 6500 just works so well. Even with some things that could be improved I like the many things it does really well.

And Steve I have seen you take the time to help others on the community with some good advice. And you have lots to offer people. I have seen most every one do it as well. It would be nice if we could spend more of our time helping then complaining about old things that have been noted and logged already. Unless the motive is to stire up the community and try to make Flex look bad for some reason. With cheap shots.

We all have want's from this tiny little company and some make demands. but Flex makes choices of what to do, that's up to them. I suggest pulling back on the demands and decending remarks and enjoy our radios.

I am not saying we should not hold Flex accountable and keep reminding them they still have customers, but there is a line from being helpful to the overall picture and simply badgering.

If I was to snip and past all the things you guys said over the year and put them in one place were it's easy to read them all,,what would we see? What would the trend be?

If you guys think you are doing the community a great service and your saving the day in what your saying almost every day, then keep it up. And I'm not saying your wrong, but what is the end game?
    I really don't care, I have no skin in the game here and it is not my business or place to tell you anything else.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hi Bill,

RE your comment from above:  "... mentioning over and over again the same things is very disruptive indeed because the comments have already been noted. "

Sometimes we see posts with questions that are very good but the poster may be new to the forum or may not have had the time to keep up or find an answer in the 15,000 threads here.  So while a particular comment or position is noted or known by some of us that are old timers here or just keep up with everything, that is not the case for everyone.  Repetition can be good and helpful.   I could give you a number of recent examples if you want. 

But the point is that repeating an answer, or directing someone to a idea or conversation with the answer or a potential solution is not meant to be disruptive.   It can be helpful.   Your feedback has been very helpful here but even you have repeated your thoughts on being repetitive ( hihi).  And I'm not saying that in a negative way.

Also providing feedback requesting changes is not usually meant to be negative either but rather an opportunity to improve.    

IMHO it is the way you respond that is important. 
    • Keep it professional, friendly, and fun.  
    • No personal attacks, be courteous. 

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    AI thank you, for many that have been here a long time knows what I mean, it is not only a comment being repeated, it is the sarcasm and dissension in the comments that follows,,sending up red flags?
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Personally, I want Flex radio to be heads above any of the off shore radios on the market.  I do wish we had more input from the flex staff so we didnt feel so much in the dark on developments.  But I do understand Flex's position on the subject as they have been burned in the past especially with giving estimates of shipment of new products, etc.  
    What stands above all for me, I do love my Flex Radio and currently the best radio on the market by far!!!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.