Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Lack of Diversity setting persistence on 40m

WC6Y
WC6Y Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in Maestro
Hi, I'm a new Flex user and have a 6600 and Maestro hardwired together. Antenna A is a myAntennas HF8010 and Antenna B is a Cushcraft R7. I have set up diversity reception for 80, 40, 30 and 20 meters. I can switch back and forth between any combination of 80, 30 & 20 and all the settings are remembered/persist. However when in 40m with diversity set, if I switch to 80, 30, or 20 and then back the 40, it goes back to Rcv on A (transmit is on A) and forgets that it was previously set for diversity. Anyone else observe this? Or am I overlooking something?

Thanks,
Ken

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Read about transmit profiles in the manual. You need to save a transmit profile. 73, Mack W4AX Alpha Team
  • WC6Y
    WC6Y Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thank you for your response. I re-read the manual sections on profiles. I am using the SO2RDefault Global Profile and three TX Profiles: 80M CW, 20M - 40M CW and 10M - 17M CW which are basically the same, but 10M - 17M CW has 8db gain added. All are set for CW 400 NB NR APF QSK AGC-M DIV. The MIC profile associated w SO2RDefault is Default.

This is my default operating configuration, one Panafall, one Slice. Sometimes I'll turn on SL B to work a DX station split, but then I'll put it back to default.

The Maestro manual section 14.7 implies that Persistence and Profiles are independent, although I can imagine that there might be some undocumented Persistence dependence upon the state or configuration of one's profiles, so I double-checked mine.

I move back and forth between 80, 40, 30 & 20 and have the SO2RDefault : 20M-40M CW : Default Mic profiles engaged. Here's is what I observe happens WRT persistence in order of frequency:

1) DIV is turned off after moving to a new band
    2) If DIV is not turned off, often Tab A is panned R (so both Tab A and Tab A Div on on the R ear)
    3) DIV off as well as NB, NR, APF all off, but the sliders for NB, NR & APF are remembered
    4) SL B is activated and comes up on 14.150 USB 2.7k, this happens on any SL A band
    5) SL B appears 14.150 USB 2.7k in a second Panafall

I've also noted that my RX equalizations have been zeroed, although I don't know when.
    All the dial-associated settings seem to persist (e.g. AGC-T, filter mode & settings, everything on the TX menu.)

BTW, I had a separate thread on the ATU / QSK conflict and I am favoring using the ATU in preference to QSK. However I am note that the QSK does not always vanish, sometimes I can have both.

This is just an annoyance for me, half a dozen button pushes after band switching and I'm back in business. I'm not a contester. More importantly, I'd like to know if others observe this same behavior or whether there is something wrong with my brand new Maestro / 6600 or my configuration of them?

On this last point, I have also heard Radio-originated popping in the headphones periodically and have assumed that was a software implementation artifact to be ignored. Do others hear these?

Configuration-wise my 6600, Maestro & Macbook Pro all have short EN cables to a gigabit switch which has a 30' EN cable to the router. I am on the second floor. A 1ft #10 copper ground wire connects the power supply to the 6600 and a 15ft #10 copper ground wire to the mast of my vertical which has a 12ft ¾" strap to earth ground. Not ideal. I will be installing  common mode chokes on all lines this weekend. Currently only ANT1, the HWEF-8010, has a CM choke which dropped the noise floor 4db.

Thanks in advance for insights,
    Ken WC6Y
  • WC6Y
    WC6Y Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Maybe I'm doing something really boneheaded. I just changed bands to 20m to have 14.150 USB pop up w everything off and went to Menu/Profiles/40m-20m CW Load - no change. Set everything back to my defaults, went to Menu/Profiles/40m-20m CW Save. Change to 30m & back to 20m - fine. Change to 30m again, back to 20m. SL A is fine, SL B appears also on 14.150 USB 2.7. Go to Menu/Profiles/40m-20m CW Load - again, no change. Appears either I'm not understanding how to use profiles, or they're not working the way they should.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Ken, take a look at You Tube if not done that yet. Many very instructive videos about Flexradio. Just search for Flexradio and you get a ton of suggestions. This one is not to bad about Profiles specifically:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s7UbKiqxAA

On Flexradio.com and Learning center you will find videos as well. I find a video much easier to follow than reading manuals ;)  The combination reading the manual and watching a few videos is almost unbeatble.  Link to Flex videos: https://www.flexradio.com/videos-flex-6000/ 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.