Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote , Windows Laptop or Ipad ?

Ed Stallman
Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
Question about using my Flex 6600 remotely . I would use remote maybe 6 to 8 times a year . I read an Ipad with a 10 to 12 inch monitor plus the ISO app works very well . Kind of pricey so maybe something used would do the job ? Can Teamviewer be used with an Ipad ? If I could log into my home computer , I could use my SS Amp . 
How about a Windows  Laptop , I don't  own one but I know Teamviewer would work . Not sure how well tethering a laptop to a smartphone works ? I have Smartlink setup and have the green light here at the fixed station. The information I've not found is how to log into Smartlink using the Laptop while at Starbucks ? Do I load SSDR on the laptop ? Then connect to Smartlink ,  Should see my 6600 at my home ? Not having a laptop to test , I have to ask  .
I prefer to use a laptop , I could use it for other things when not remote . 

Thanks Ed N5DG    

Answers

• Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Personally, I have both. For me, I prefer the Windows interface, largely because I have other remote VPN connections that I need to make to control amplifier and antenna rotator.

I really like the iPad user experience. It's not so great on an iPhone (too small).

So for portable operation, my choice is Surface Pro, but both work well.
  • Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I use my ipad my iPhone and my computer (Windows) for SmartSDR. I contrôl my power supply with One switch wifi and my amplifier with another.image
  • Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks Rick and Jean , If I buy a Laptop do I load SSDR onto the laptop ? Then to log into my 6600 , I log into smartlink ? If that's all their is to it sounds fairly easy 
    Thanks Ed N5DG
  • Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    if your radio is already open. the smartlink does not open the radio remotely. smartsdr V2 for remote
  • Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Sorry , I don't understand , I'm setting at Starbucks and open the Laptop computer . How do I link to the 6600 at my house ?
    Ed
  • Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    You put on you flexradio before go outside. Or you buy wifi switch for put on your flex with your phone
  • Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Jean , thanks for the link . Turning on radio , power supply's , amps or turning rotor is easy enuf to do .. I do Not have a laptop to try to log into my Flex 6600 while at Starbucks . What Software do I need to install for the laptop ? would that be SSDR ? is this correct ? Do I open the laptop at Starbucks and load SSDR ? I guess if I had a Laptop , I could see if that worked 
    Ed
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Ed - I’m in Cypress, less than an hours drive. I’d be happy to take you on a demo tour if you’d like. Rick
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    That is correct, if you have a 6600 then you already have a version 2 license.
    Make sure before you leave the house you enable the 6600 on the SmartLink server,  and open the ports on your router it tells you too when you register SmartLink (You have to be at the radio to hit the PTT, or CW Key on the radio it self) then you can login remotely with SmartLink / SmartSDR from about anywhere with a good network connection once you login to the SmartLink Remote device using the login information you provided when you registered the radio.
    Sounds more complicated then it really is, here is a you-tube video
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMbi3dAiMi0

73's 
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Rick , Jean and Bret Thanks all . Bret thanks for the description and youtube link . I have smartlink setup here at the house , tapped the paddle and have the green light . I'll shop around for a Laptop and build from that .
    Ed 
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Ed, when you are shopping around for a laptop, I'd caution you not to get one of the cheap ones based on a slow processor. You don't need a gaming class laptop, but you will be running SSDR along with a bunch of sound processing, and perhaps digital modes and auxiliary tools. The graphics processing on cheap laptops is done by the CPU, and you can bog it down easily. I tried a cheap Acer, and it just did not do the job. I tried a still relatively inexpensive Lenovo with an i5 of some kind in it, and it did just fine. My opinion only, of course.
  • Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Ted thanks, I was curious about that , I'll look around for something with an i5 
    Ed
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I use an old Dell Inspirion (N5110) with i5 CPU at 2.4Ghz with 6GB RAM and it works fine for connecting to my 6600M via SmartSDR and SmartLink.  Nice 15.6 inch screen.  Runs Win 10 Pro.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.