Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6500, DXLab, N1MM, WSJT-X interconnection - best approach

K8AC
K8AC Member ✭✭
I've had the Flex 6500 for just a couple of weeks, have it integrated into my station and talking to the radio-related software OK, but in reading other threads here I suspect my configuration could be improved.  So, am looking for suggestions and comments on that.

Here's the current configuration: Flex 6500, Maestro, PC connected via ethernet cables to ethernet switch which is cable connected to DSL modem/router.  DXLab Suite used for logging, etc., WSJT-X, N1MM Logger+ for contests, SmartSDR CAT.  During DX contests, DXLab and N1MM would both be running and connected to the 6500. 

For the WSJT-X connection, I have port 5002 defined in SmartSDR CAT.  In WSJT-X setup, rig is defined as FlexRadio 6xxx and CAT control specifies localhost:5002. 

For the N1MM connection, I have a COM11 port defined in SmartSDR CAT and in N1MM, COM11 is specified as the port for the 6500.

In DXLab Commander,  I have the radio defined as SDR-6500, 100 ms. command interval, Primary CAT serial port of COM9 (which is also defined in SmartSDR CAT as COM9).

The PC runs Win 10 and the Maestro and 6500 are at 2.4.9 level. 

Answers

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Suggest you change the connection to Commander per:
     https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FlexSignature
  • K8AC
    K8AC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    OK - did that, and thus freed up the COM port I was using.  It would be nice if N1MM would also allow communications via TCP.  WSJT-X supports specifying an IP address, but needs a port number.  I tried just putting the radio IP address there, but that didn't work. 
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Floyd
    With WSJT-X the TCP port needs to be set to use the Loopback IP address of the PC that SmartCat is running on, "not" the IP address of the radio itself. In WSJT-X Radio Setup, try setting either 127.0.0.1: 5002 or localhost:5002 which should work if your going to be using port 5002. The connection is made to SmartCAT, not directly to the radio, WSJT-X gets it's connection through SmartCAT's TCP connection to the radio.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• K8AC
    K8AC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I've been using the localhost:5002 method with SmartCAT and that's been working fine.  I thought maybe there was a way to make the connection without SmartCAT as DXLab Commander is able to do. 
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Configure WSJTX to user Commander for transceiver control, as described in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModes

With DXLab, you do not need SmartCAT.

• K8AC
    K8AC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I previously had it set up that way, but changed it.  Frankly, I can't remember why, so will revisit that and change it back to using Commander. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.