Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Has anyone successfully used the SIIG FireWire Express Card (NN-EC2022-S1) with the 3000 and a Win X

Just looking for a possible solution for a Win XP Laptop with no FireWire to use with a Flex 3000.

Answers

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Jim 
    I'd keep looking and find a firewire express card with a TI (Texas Instruments) chipset, the card you're asking about has a VIA VT6315 chipset. It might work for you, but the VIA chipsets are not 100% compatible with the PowerSDR firewire driver.   

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Jim Johnson
    Jim Johnson Member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks Jay!  Based on what I have seen so far, I don't have much hope to find anything!

I have been looking at a DELL laptop that include a Firewire port, but unfortunately not much details on the unit.  Asking $169 for the laptop, guess I have throwed a lot more money for a lot less reasons... hi

https://www.pcliquidations.com/p39258-dell-latitude-e5500-15#

Anyone got one of these?

Jim/KC4HW

• Jim Johnson
    Jim Johnson Member
    edited December 2018
    Here are some spec I found at cnet.com

• Interfaces
      4 x USB 2.0 4 pin USB Type A
      1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)
      1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T - RJ-45
      1 x audio - line-out/headphones - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
      1 x microphone - input - mini-phone 3.5 mm
      1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire) 4 pin FireWire
      1 x display / video - S-video output
      1 x docking / port replicator
    Wonder if this would be satisfactory?

Jim/KC4HW
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Jim
    It's not like the VIA chipsets were guaranteed not to work, it's just that the TI chipsets always seemed to work. The issues with the VIA chipsets were mostly about poor performance, leading to audio drop outs, etc.

Does it have to be a laptop?

#FlexRadio IRC chat

SDRgadgets

Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    If you've been shopping for these, you've probably already seem this one, more expensive, but it's TI, it will work.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-39-158-012

#FlexRadio IRC chat

SDRgadgets

Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Jim Johnson
    Jim Johnson Member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks again Jay.

Well I am going to use a desktop from home with a PCI-E card.  But I also have a small RV and was looking to use a laptop that would store away/travel easy.  Planning a 5+ week RV trip now and there will be another 4 or 5+ weeks of different RVing activities in 2019. 

At 70 years, I have accumulated three laptops (VISTA, XP & XP Pro) that are in very serviceable condition, but just don't have purpose.  The XP Pro, Toshiba (~2004 vintage) does not have PC ExpressCard but instead a PCMCIA slot, but I did check and it does have a single 1394 Net Adapter, TI OHCI IEEE 1394 4-pin connector built in.  So when I get the "new to me" Flex 3000 I will try it out to see if it will work.  If not   I did find this

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815283035&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-Googl...  that possibly might also work if I need a plan B...

Probably more than you wanted to know about all of this but I do appreciate your help.   

C U around the Ham Radio Campus!

Jim/KC4HW

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Jim
    Sounds like a plan to me Try that option out before, buying any pigs in pokes.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

SDRgadgets

Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.