Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ameritron ALS-1300 band switching

Keith Flint
Keith Flint Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
Success with getting the Flex 6300 to auto-switch bands to the Ameritron ALS-1300 Amp

Comments

• Keith Flint
    Keith Flint Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I have info that will help you get the ALS-1300 to bandswitch with the ARI-500 auto bandswitch interface. Contact me using qrz.com information if you need help. I have an article I wrote using wordpad in msdos format I can attach to an email. I can't see to be able to paste it in this post.
    Keith   W7ZAC

• Bill Reeves
    Bill Reeves Member
    edited September 2018
    can you send it to me  wreeves@suddenlink.net  thanks I cant get mine to switch bands

bill ke5pny
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Here's Keith's article:

Auto Bandswitch with the Ameritron ALS-1300 FET Amplifier and the ARI-500 Interface

by W7ZAC 09/26/2018.

Equipment needed: 
         1. ALS=1300 Ameritron Amplifier
         2. Ameritron ARI-500 Bandswitch Interface
         3. Ameritron RJ-DB9KY Cable
         4. Flex ACC-USBSERIAL USB to Serial Adapter cable
         5. Flex-6300 or 6500 or 6700 with Version 2.4.9 SmartSDR software

Assembly instructions:

Turn off all equipment. 

Place the output of the Amplifier on a dummy load.

Plug the Flex USB to Serial cable into the top USB port.

Remove the DB9 connector shell of the RJ-DB9KY cable and unsolder and reverse the wires at the connector's pins 2 and 3 to change the polarity to a null modem connection. Re-assemble the shell. Plug this cable into the db9 connection of the USb to serial cable, then plug the free end into the Radio jack on the ARI-500.

If your amp is equipped for 12/10 meter operation remove the cover from the ARI-500 and change the jumper JMP3 to the ON position (2 to 3) to enable 12/10 meter operation. See the ARI-500 Instructions.

Install the two CAT5 cables as instructed in the installation manual of the ARI-500 from the Remote jacks to the A and B jacks on the Amplifier.

Place the Band switch of the Amplifier in the REMOTE position.

Place the OPR/STBY switch of the ARI-500 in the STBY position.

Turn on the Flex 6xxx radio and start SmartSDR.

Program the USB connection in the Settings/USB cables drop down as follows:

Click on the installed cable and click on edit and edit the name of the cable to your liking.
         I named mine "Flex CAT cable". 

Click on Advanced and set:

Source to Active Slice

Auto Report to Enabled

Speed 9600. Data Bits 8, Parity none, stop bits 1, flow control none

Connect a RCA cable fro the transmit plug on the Flex-6xxx to the Relay jack on the ALS-1300

Select the band you use most on the Flex radio.

Turn on the ALS-1300 after setting the operate/standby switch in standby.

The ARI-500 should be in the STBY position.

The power and link leds should be on and steady, showing a link to the radio.

Change the band and check to see that the proper led lights up on the Amp.  Check all bands.

Note: the 30 meter band switches the Amp to 20M. (Max. power on 30m is 200 watts).
    The 17m band switches the amp to 15 meters (error in programming?)
    The 12 meter band switches the amp to 10m (error in programming?)

I also shortened the Ameritron RJ-DB9KY cable.

I am presently working with Ameritron and Flex support to get the 17 and 12 meter band selections to switch the amp properly.

If you have any changes or additions to these instructions, please let me know

Keith
    W7ZAC
  • Keith Flint
    Keith Flint Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I have changed one setting in the usb cable info. I changed from active slice selection to TX slice.
    Keith
    W7ZAC
  • Keith Flint
    Keith Flint Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I have received a reply from Ameritron and MFJ. There is a new USB cable now available for the Flex 6000 series. It is Ameritron part number DB-USB6000 available on Ameritron's Secure order Desk for $39.95 plus shipping and your choice of shippers.
    Keith
    W7ZAC

• Bill Reeves
    Bill Reeves Member
    edited October 2018
    that cable just interfaces with als 1306/606 not the 1300
  • Keith Flint
    Keith Flint Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Have you tried it?
  • Bill Reeves
    Bill Reeves Member
    edited October 2018
    the als 1300 does not have the port that the 1306 and 606 have.  they have the ari built in 
  • W3TAC_Tony
    W3TAC_Tony Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"MARS Operators take note:\nThe Ameritron ARI-500 Automatic Band Switch and DB-USB6000 USB cable combination for the Flex series will not function outside of the ham radio bands using ALS-600 and ALS-1300 Amps. Tuning out of a designated ham band disables the amps. I'm not sure but suspect the PIC processor in the ARI-500 performs this function. \nThis set up works as advertised within the ham bands and both amps work on MARS frequencies when manually switched. If anyone knows a work around for MARS use please let me know. \nTony Fusco\n\n \n\n"}]

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.