Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

software power off switch

John VK3XM
John VK3XM Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I have set up my 6600 with a remote power on via a web controlled AC power switch on the DC supply.  After the supply powers up there is a 5 second delay before the power RCA terminal on the back of the Flex is shorted to ground and the rig fires up.
Now it is not good practice to turn the rig off by dropping the DC supply.
I was wondering if any thought had been given to programing a power down control in the Smartlink software.

John VK3XM

Comments

• Paul - GI4FZD
    Paul - GI4FZD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Put a relay on the a/c switch and wire a phono plug from the relay to the remote on socket on the back of the 6600. Contacts closed, it's on, contacts open, its off. Leave your d/c power supply always on.
    Paul gi4fzd
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Here is what I use with a NEO remote power switch. https://www.amazon.com/Enclosed-AC-Protection-Bounce-Terminals/dp/B017743I7S/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1533814097&sr=8-8&keywords=digital+loggers If you want, you can use another remote power switch to control your power supply in case you need to recycle your power. (Which is occasionally necessary).
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I think that is a design flaw in the Flex radio and surprised they didn't correct that on the newer series. As ken mentioned, it is necessary to "Mickey Mouse" a relay closure to the remote on/off at the back of the radio. Even Icom has a soft on/off function.

Jim, K6QE
  • JohnSweeney
    JohnSweeney Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    A software power down would make so much sense.  So many of us use our Flex radios remotely and adding an additional relay is just another potential point of failure.  Even the Maestro has software power down.
  • Russ K5OA
    Russ K5OA Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I am using the Web Control Quad relay and control both DC and remote on/off functions and it is perfect and needed for upgrades as well when done remotely.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I think when you get to all of the devices that need to be turned off when using remote radio - power, antenna disconnect, you'll still need relay boards. Upgrades is also an issue if you want to do them remotely instead of a visit to the site. A software switch for that would be a big security risk 
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I use a Raspberry Pi for lots of control things including relay closures for the remote on.  I also have the ability with this Pi to remove DC from the radio and I have a Web switch to **** A/C power.

At this point in time I can remotely control almost everything.
  • Bill - W9KKN
    Bill - W9KKN Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Just to clarify some of the other answers provided, the remote power contact closure on back of the Flex does actually do a proper soft shutdown when powering off.
  • Bill - W9KKN
    Bill - W9KKN Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Just curious, are you directly driving the remote power CC with the RPI or driving a relay with it? It seems like a lot of the relay boards out there want TTL or 12V rather than 3V3. The Flex itself uses 3V3, but it wasn't clear if the RPI could do the right thing directly.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The RCA Remote jack just needs a simple relay contact. No voltage.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    A software switch would be useless in cases where the software stops responding. The rca jack often functions even when other parts of the software is unresponsive. In other cases, you may also need a remote control on your power supply in order to force a reset. Because of these issues, I think the current method is better than a software switch.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Bill, there are Rpi compatible relay boards that accept direct drive.  But yes typically a Pi cannot directly drive a relay.  You need some kind of FET or relay driver to handle the current.

I use this one from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KTELP3I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's less than $10 for 8 30A relays and the drive is compatible with Pi.  You just need to give it a good 5V source.  So I have a step down converter from my 12V supply to 5V.  I power the Pi and the relay boards with that.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I agree Ken:

There is I believe in SSDR a "reboot" or restart the radio but no shutdown.

I think the Remote input is the best way to shutdown the radio if you are remote and cannot hit the front switch.

Since my radio is out in a shed, locked and I often am away I have both relays to handle Remote in and a large relay to cut DC to the radio.  Behind all of that I have a Web power switch that can **** AC to the power supply.

So I kind of have 3 levels I can work with.

All of my stuff fails to function if the network goes down but so far that has been pretty reliable.
  • Henning - DL6DH
    Henning - DL6DH Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hi, I am using here a Raspberry Pi with a Piface Digital adapter attached. One of the open collector outputs (there are eight on the board) pulling the Remote On line to ground. I do not have a relay in between. I never had any problems with the radio, even during software updates. If radio crashed or was not responding anymore, just switch Remote off and on again. I did not need to switch off the 12V power source to reset the radio right now. By the way, this solutions gives me control other the whole shack. 12V power can be switched, KPA500 remote powered on, triggering KAT500 to force start tuning like pressing the Tune button. The Raspberry is forwaring the serial ports of the KPA and rotor control, so I can operate the whole station remote. And in case I need to do an update, I can start the VPN server on it to reach the radio directly without using SmartLink. 73 Henning
  • Olaf, W9FY
    Olaf, W9FY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Wondering if anyone is using an AC power **** where each of the outlets can be individually controlled and is iOS compatable?

Olaf
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Digital loggers web switches work fine using the iOS browser
  • Joel N9LQ
    Joel N9LQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I use the following remotely controllable outlet ****. WiFi Smart Power ****, Conico Smart... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074SFQDN5?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf It was $32. Each outlet is individually controllable via iOS. The app is free. I use it to control my Astron power supply, a 12v wall wart driving an automotive relay for remote on/off, and my powered speakers. So far it is working fine.
  • Joel N9LQ
    Joel N9LQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Conico WiFi Smart power **** Surge Protector with 4 USB Ports and 4 AC Plugs for Multi Outlets I don’t think the link worked right but if you search this in Amazon, you should find it.
  • Olaf, W9FY
    Olaf, W9FY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thanks for the replies. That is exactly what I want to do: power supply on/off, Flex remote control on/off, and also disconnect antenna from the Flex.
    Plan to use iPAD for controlling these functions, and run smartSDR for iOS.
    Thanks again,
    Olaf W9FY
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You can use one of the rig runners to turn everything off or on with the radio, I have a couple and they work great. Easy to adjust the sensitivity so it works properly for your setup, no need for a bunch of relays. Unless you want to have individual control of each device, but for me just coming on or turning off with the radio was enough

http://www.westmountainradio.com/prod...

I use one AC relay to cycle the radio, everything else follows with the rig runner.

I have a separate AC switch so I can power down the entire shack if needed, the rig runner is for normal on/off.

Lots of good solutions in this thread, and in others on the forum. It’s like most things I think, a combination of shack layout and personal preference.

Justin
    KL2D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.