Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 10 Update Again

DonS
DonS Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
My windows 10 just took an update last week and now I have the issue again with audio inputs and outputs.  See the attached showing duplicate Rx 3, Rx 4, Tx, and Reserved Audio Rx 2, 3, 4 with DAX IQ in ().  I used the procedure provided by Tim to view the Device Manager and did anbuninstall of these six audio inputs and outputs.  Everything works ok, however, when I shut down the pc and start it up again or start it up the next day these inputs/outputs are back in Device Manager.  Is there someway to remove them so they do not show up again?  Perhaps something in the Registry?

Don - kx9q

Answers

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    My reccomendation is since this update issuenow an integral part of using Windows with SSDR, get a copy of Revo uninstaller, (free version is okay) then remove everything Flex from your computer via "deep scan". Then re-install everything.  That really isn't canon, but at this point, it alwys works, and knowing exactly what part Windows breaks on updates doesn't help much. 

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    wow...Revo uninstaller worked and cleared up the ghost Audio inputs and outputs.  Never did have a problem with the com ports.

Don -kx9q
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Windows 10 vs. DAX Audio:  This is starting to seem like a common problem after a windows 10 update,
    and the manual fix is documented here;
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/most-common-fix-for-dax-driver-errors-in-windows-spring-update-1803-you-can-do-this 

It is interesting to me how often this is occurring (due to Microsoft), yet costing both users and FRS 
    a lot of time and frustration.   
    But that fix takes time and a bunch of typing and steps.   I will repeat what I posted previously
    that Flex should seriously consider;

========
    Tim mentioned that the reason a regular uninstall/reinstall cycle does not fix it is because MickySoft
    with their windows update migrated the DAX Audio registry entries to a new name and  therefore the
    Flex installer package does NOT have that list of registry entries to uninstall.  So a regular uninstall
    and re-install leaves the bogus registry entries there, causing trouble.

As someone both cost conscience and also all about customer satisfaction, I still maintain the point 
    I made earlier;   If Flex wants to save money and reduce both user frustration and time spent on 
    support calls, they need to add an optional click-box on the installer package prompt screen that 
    lets the user select "Deep Clean Un-Install, Re-Install", which will warn the user to backup profiles,
    then proceed to scan the registry, purge ANY entry with Flex's keywords (This is what Norton 
    Uninstaller/Cleaner does for similar problems with their own product), and then after that proceed
    to reinstall SmartSDR.     With coding, it is very easy to match/find the registry entries that MickySoft
    mangled with their Windows update.   The risk is low in doing that.   The rewards are huge, both
    financially and  customer frustration wise.

Work Smart, Not Hard.   (How many times do you really want to fix this by hand over teamviewer?)

Neal
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Alternatively, if FRS does not wish to program the above into the SmartSDR installer package, then FRS 
    could also offer a standalone "Flex Cleaner.EXE" on their support download site, which could perform
    the registry DAX Keyword search and remove, prior to a user re-installing SmartSDR.
    Imagine how many support phone and teamviewer hours could be saved each month by
    simply making such a utility available.  :-)

And to show just how quickly FRS could create such a Flex Cleanup utility, here is a super short
    example (not working almost correct) Power Shell line to find and remove the DAX entries.
    If you look at the main support thread by FRS on Windows Update 1803, you will notice that
    ALL of the DAX registry entries, even the mangled ones, contain this string "FlexRadio Systems DAX".   So a Power Shell script line could look similar to;

Get-ChildItem -path HKLM:SoftwarePath-To-Flex-Registry-Entries  -Recurse | where { $_.Name -match 'FlexRadio Systems DAX'} | Remove-Item -Force

For that matter, you could add PowerShell lines that also delete the SmartSDR files & folders,
    so that you only need to re-install SmartSDR after running this cleanup utility.
    Of course, you can write the utility in your language of choice using registry access libraries.

Food for thought.

Neal
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Yup - I trust Revo to always fix the problems. 
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Oh, a thousand times this. After spending 3 hours today on the phone helping a guy whose Windows update hosed his wireless connection - and another personal visit tomorrow will ensue.  The frustration level of people is growing, and truth is, Flex is not as badly affected as many are. I do know for myself, it is a lot less frustrating to simply assume Windows bollixed up the computer and clean up the yard than to boot up, start SSDR, and here we go again! 

The cure really isn't to disable updates, or to kick the computer off the internet, or what I have done during contests - tether the computer to my iPhone to get spots, and set it to not update over metered connections. Silliness. 

An automated solution from Flex that saves profiles, deep uninstalls everything, reinstalls and starts the radio would make people feel kinda good - like cleaning out the registry or other maintenance - instead of the constant frustration some folks have. 
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    You list what is not the cure, but i am here to say it is the cure dump win 10 move to win 7 or win 8 get it all working and setup right, image the drive, and then ms can stuff it, never look back and never have issues again. Less time invested into a permanent fix. Problem solved, my time is spent on the radio not trying to fix windows to be able to use the radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.