Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6500 Delay in FT8

Options
2»

Answers

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    The latest versions of wsjt-x will high light (add background highlight) to the DT measurement if it is out of spec. That is the point where it may have difficulty decoding the incoming signals. I think it triggers at about 1.75 to 2.0 seconds. 0 to .6 is nominal. You will sometimes see -.1 to -.2 occasionally.
  • BL7IB
    BL7IB Member ✭✭
    Options

It is reasonable to assume, when we transmit using FlexRadio, there is also small delay in comparson with analog rig?

If this is true, is there any setting in either Flexradio or WSJT to offset it?

(not splitting hairs but increase chance of packet being decoded)

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    Options

@BL7IB There is not an offset value in WSJT-X to compensate for inherent signal propagation delays in the radio. With the FLEX-6000, this is a few hundred milliseconds, well within spec.

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I think there are three types of timing differentials. First is processing, time needed to do the A TO D function including demodulation to audio level, which I have to say is probably less then 1 ms on average in the radio. Next is processing of the Audio by wsjt-x and again less then 1 ms in the computer, but also has sample reception time which is set to a set time in both FT8/4. The last time is the measurement in the DT, which times the time difference between the two communicating stations. Which is shown for all decoded signals. That time seems to average about .2 to .6 seconds for most stations. So the first two are pretty much set by the processing power of the computing devices being used. The last I think should able to be set, but requires the ability to set an offset into the clock timing that controls the T/R function of the radio/application timing. The transmit and PTT delays set in ms increments has minimal effect and only in a negative direction. That is why there would be need for a station clock offset in the tenths of a second to be able to bring DT to closer to 0 DT. Any way, this thesis is my understanding. If I am wrong, I hope that someone will comment with accurate explanation. Thanks!

• Tim - W4TME
    Options

From a pragmatic standpoint, I have over 10,000 FTx QSOs in the log and never missed a one with a +0.3 DT.

If that level of accuracy was needed, no one would be making QSOs.

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, for sure... actually I have worked a few stations at 2 seconds and was able to decode. The wsjt-x have very robust decoding.

• Tim - W4TME
    Options

@Patrick Indeed it does. 😃

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    Options

FT8 protocol sends the calls twice so if the received signals are strong and in the clear chances are that a transmission can be decoded with very significant delay.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

FT8 2.2.2 has three decode cycles now and FT4 has two. That was one of the new features of version 2.2.

@BL7IB I have been working China in the morning from the east coast of U.S. and timing on decodes has been 0.3 to 0.4 range when both stations are using software to sync timing to a known good source. Even analog radios have delays which are part of the analog to digital external interface used such as a SignalLink USB or similar.

The timing for T/R turnaround in Flex radios is minimal compared to propagation delays and is well within the decode limits of WSJT-X.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.