Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

IOS app and the Iphone X

Greg - KØGDI
Greg - KØGDI Member ✭✭
Hey, I am contemplating switching from my Galaxy S8+ to an Iphone X.  I am thinking about doing this because you can operate your radio from the Iphone and not from an Android.  Can anybody tell me any pros and cons between Android and IOS, and how good is the Iphone Flex app.

K0GDI

Answers

• Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I have only used the iPhone Flex app a little bit on my iPad, but it seems to be really nice.  Haven't used it on my iPhone X yet.  
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Works great on my X and iPad. Really neat to carry a HF station in ur pocket.
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The iPhone Flex app is superb.  In my opinion iOS is a bit more polished than Android, but the gap is rapidly narrowing.  

• Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Been using the IOS APP on my iPhones including the X, since the iOS App has been released. It's very impressive and fun to use. Most people can't tell I'm using my phone. Also works great on my iPad.
  • Bill English
    Bill English Member
    edited January 2020

Personally I would not own another Android. The first smart phone I had was a Droid and it would get slow and require restarting all the time. It would lock up and I'd have to pull the battery to restart it. Terrible. I have had Iphones since. Started with the 4 and now I have a 7. They are much more stable and IMO user friendly.

As far as the Flex on the Smart Link app, it works great for me. A big part of that deal is going to be your connection quality to your local network as well as the internet when you are away from home. If you have a good connection the thing is outstanding. I have used it on numerous times on the road (as a passenger) working SSB and CW. Worth every cent. I also use some of the tools, and I have the logbook, and the dx cluster.

I think you will be happy with the change.

Good Luck

Bill K4FX  

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Works great with my ipad6 but I had to get the Gmail voice app in order to send text and get calls on my ipad to non-apple devices for some reason.
  • Mike Steiner, K7QDX
    edited June 2018
    I use the app both on my ipad and iphone. Its a little harder on the small screen, however once you have everything set you aren't changing it much. Its also nice to have if you are out and about with your wife and she wants to go shopping and you are just sitting there bored. you and then wipe out your phone and call CQ.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I Don't want to start a phone debate here but we live in a very rural area and I have about 100 Phone accounts I manage for local Public safety  and I have to say I replace or have repaired IPones 2 to 1 compared to Samsung 7's and 8's as far as ruggedness there is no comparison.
    (you can sure tell these guys aren't paying for them)

BUT I do have one of each, a Ipone 8 and a Samsung S8 phone in my pockets and I do really like SmartSDR on the IOS in my pocket but screen is to small for me, BUT on the IPAD I love the SmartSDR APP and it works great .

I use the RCForb App on the Android OS to run my FLEX3000 Remotely which works equally well. 

your mileage will vary and this is just my opinion  

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Bill English
    Bill English Member
    edited January 2020
    Bret,

I have decided my next one will be a plus model. My fingers are too big for the iPhone 7. My iPad Pro with the pencil is pleasure to play radio with, love it. The pencil is hard to beat for tapping smaller stuff. 

Bill K4FX

• ameliaalby
    ameliaalby Member
    edited March 2019
    The errors similar to iTunes error 3194 may generate after making an update in an iOS-based system. The users face these issues regarding any Apple based server issues may take suggestions that will be helpful for resolving their issues effortlessly.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.