Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR 2.x vs Maestro - Differences?

James Watts
James Watts Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in SmartSDR for iOS
I am wondering if there are any differences, operational or functional, between a stand-alone Maestro and an iPad running SmartSDR 2.x? I understand one would have physical knobs on stand-alone Maestro, but other than that,  are there any differences in functionality. Can I adjust or use something on the Maestro that isn't available on the iPad/SmartSDR combo or vice-versa?

Jim

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I own a Maestro and also run the iOS SmartSDR App on an iPad.  To the best of my knowledge the same controls are available on both platforms, but the iOS SmartSDR App offers some nice software enhancements that the Maestro doesn't have (yet), such as color intensity spectrum signal display, and DX call signs can be displayed right on the spectrum display, and a built in logging option (optional add-ons). 

I enjoy using both remote platforms.  I use my Maestro when I don't feel like weeding down through App menus.    
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Check out the IOS software for the Ipad demos (youtube) It's a very good program that works very well on an iPhone as well as an ipad. 
  • James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I've downloaded and tried SmartSDR on my iPad. I like it a lot, however, I don't have a Maestro to know or test differences. I guess my question would be can the Maestro do anything that a flex/SmartSDR device couldn't?
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I forgot to mention the iOS SmartSDR/iPad arrangement doesn't offer the same hardwired input connectivity features that the Maestro has (Key, Powered Speaker, Line Out, PTT, 2nd Mic Input, Phones, and Line in.  Although some of these features are available via BlueTooth with the iOS App.  And if you want decent sounding transmit audio with the iOS App, my suggestion is don't rely on the internal mic in your iPad.  Instead buy a BlueTooth headset/mic.
  • James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Very good points. Thank you. I guess PTT would be an obstacle on SmartSDR too. I've found a couple lightning to USB/XLR adapters that should work with the iPad, but testing would be required I'm sure.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    An iPad will get you into wifi networks requiring a password, while this is problematic with a Maestro.
  • Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I easily log into wifi networks requiring a password, but the problem is checking the YES box to pass by the Security Certificate on the Maestro.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

SmartSDR: Split is now listed in the Slice Flag, clicking on it will open a new slice RX "up" 1KHz in CW or 5KHz SSB mode.  No need for this with Maestro, just press "RX" for the B slice (above the smaller tune knob).

With Maestro: if one slice is open, the B slice can display TX A Compression while Slice A is displaying dB Level.  or touch Meters> (lower right of screen) and see all Meters on the right side of the Maestro screen simultaneously.

Maestro:  BW filters for Slice A and B can be adjusted 2 ways (Cntr or Hi Lo) more easily and quickly with knobs (opinion).  Both ways are have their place.  I like Cntr when running a frequency, I like Hi Lo for SSB and Digital modes.

Most things done in SmartSDR can be done on the Maestro but easier (opinion).  Except ..see below

SmartSDR: when moving the mouse, a frequency flag, tracks with the cursor line, displaying the frequency to the nearest Hz  (opinion; I like that and wish the Maestro did that).

Maestro: I can squeeze the screen to customize the panafall bandwidth, SmartSDR cannot do that yet, (even if your iPad has a touch screen ).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.