Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

N1MM Voice Keyer

K3WR - Jim
K3WR - Jim Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have successfully recorded voice messages on the N1MM application for use with my Flex 6400. The messages are audible on playback on my laptop when pressing the F-keys. Problem is, the rig is not transmitting the messages. Anyone have the solution to the following issues while using N1MM voice keying: 1. Port the audio from the laptop to the 6400, and, 2. Key the rig to transmit the recorded messages Given the popularity of N1MM, someone has surely resolved this issue before. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Best Answer

• Ben KN4RFT
    Ben KN4RFT Member, Unconfirmed
    Answer ✓
    I just worked out the answers to some of Paul's questions and wanted to post them for the next ham trying to use the Voice Keyer with SmartSDR.

First set up audio To and From N1MM+ under Config>Logger+ Audio Setup. Playback tab should have DAX Audio TX selected under Radio 1 and Message Recording tab should have DAX MIC Audio under Radio 1.

To Record on the Fly: begin transmitting, then press CTRL+SHFT+F# key to begin recording for the selected F# key. Record your desired message, then press ESC key to end the recording and save the .wav file. Stop transmitting at this point.

Some additional notes:
    - Recordings will be different depending on if you are in Run or S&P in N1MM+.
    - In the CAT window, make sure a COM port is designated for N1MM. Make sure that same COM port is set in N1MM under Config>Configure Ports.... .
    - In the DAX window, make sure TX stream is on.
    - Make sure DAX is selected in SmartSDR

N1MM+ .wav files for voice keyer are located in folder location Documents\N1MM Logger+\Wav\{operator} where the {operator} is the callsign of the operator designated at N1MM at that time.

This solution worked with SmartSDR v3.6.8 and N1MM+ 1.0.10180.

Ben KN4RFT

Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    In N1MM+ "Config" menu, choose "Logger+ Audio Setup". In this dialog, click the "Playback" tab, then in the drop-down under Radio 1, select "DAX Audio TX (FlexRadio Systems)". Then in SmartSDR, in the "PHNE" control panel, click the "DAX" button. It will turn blue to indicate it is active. You will also need to define a PTT port in SmartSDR CAT, and connect N1MM+ to that. You can use either a foot switch or VOX for live voice with your radio Mic. It all works very smoothly.
    73,Craig, KØCF
  • K3WR - Jim
    K3WR - Jim Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Thanks Craig, got the N1MM voice keyer working now.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Yes thanks for putting us on the fast track. This is on my to do list.
  • Tom Porada
    Tom Porada Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Just using this feature now with the Florida QSO party, Craig got me right to the answer.
    Thanks.
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

Craig - hope you don't mind resurrecting an old thread, but I not making it to first base on the N1MM Voice keyer challenge. In a May 18 post you listed:

In N1MM+ "Config" menu, choose "Logger+ Audio Setup". In this dialog, click the "Playback" tab, then in the drop-down under Radio 1, select "DAX Audio TX (FlexRadio Systems)"== DONE

. Then in SmartSDR, in the "PHNE" control panel, click the "DAX" button. It will turn blue to indicate it is active. == DONE

You will also need to define a PTT port in SmartSDR CAT, and connect N1MM+ to that. You can use either a foot switch or VOX for live voice with your radio Mic==== ALSO DONE

*** in the N1MM Audio Setup & Monitor , when I do the Test in the Monitor tab, I see green bars in the wav and output columns. In the Message Recording tab I selected DAX Mic Audio.

*** But then I am lost, don't see how to actually record a msg ? Where does it get stored and how do I link to an Function Key??

73 & tnx Paul

w2eck

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.