Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Multiple mics with a 6400

Neil   N4FN
Neil N4FN Member
Being in the Atlanta area we are fortunate to have two great mentors W4AX and AE4CW who have been great help to a new FLEX owner (me).
However I am curious how others are handling multiple mics WITHOUT unplugging and switching mics, which can be a pain. With the 6400 having connectors on the back it is cumbersome to switch my Heil 781 and the Heil Proset 7. A further complication is that I also use the great EQPlus and iPlus from Julius W2IHY. since i still have another HF radio that will be my back up. So any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
73  Neil   N4FN

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Neil,

As I shared on the phone. The easiest way to accomplish this is to plug one microphone in the MIC jack on the rear of the radio. Then build a adapter to plug the  W2IHY into the HD DB-15 receptacle. The pins on the DB-15 HC are 1 (hot), 5 (ground). You can then select the desired mic from SSDR, Maestro, or via different profiles.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Here how I cover multiple mics and radios.image
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Very Nice!

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    What I have done in the past was to use a simple 4 channel mixer. I would plug my mics into the mixer and simply turn down the mic I was not using but had them all connected. Then from the mixer to line in on the Flex.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I wish they still sold these. I regret selling mine along with the receive audio mixer.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/filters/NCS3240.html

• K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    dang I though mine was an original....
  • VE3DZP
    VE3DZP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I bought the MFJ-1263 mic controller and use my Heil Pro 7 and my Kenwood MC-90 no problemimage
  • nt9e
    nt9e Member ✭✭

I have a 6400M. Where did you find the 1/8" to RJ-45 cable?

• VE3DZP
    VE3DZP Member ✭✭

I just cut the end off an old CAT cable and soldered the 1/8 to it.

• Cy Stanway
    Cy Stanway Member ✭✭

Cheap and dirty way to do this: Simple mechanical switching box. It is stereo but it doesn't matter because when you put in a mono it shorts the ground and the ring. Simple mono plugs in and one mono plug out. Problem solved. No soldering. Easy peazy lemon squeezy.

SOLUPEAK M1 2 in 1 Out 3.5mm Stereo Audio Switch aux switcher Speaker selector Splitter Box : Electronics (amazon.com)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.