Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

40m Noise on panadapter

Wayne
Wayne Member ✭✭
edited March 2018 in New Ideas

Since setting up the flex I have had a weird base noiseline only on 40m. It was not straight like all the other bands but almost looked like 1/2 a sine wave repeating the whole way across the 40m band. It did not interfere much with reception yet every feature on the 6400m I used would not get rid of it. When I switched to dummy load for the receive antenna it subsided but still was there. I tried setting the RF Preamp at -8db did not even affect the sine wave but did affect the noise and signal riding on the sine wave.

Yesterday after trying Smartsdr for windows with my micro desktop and realizing in a short period of time that the case of the micro desktop was so hot I could not hardly touch it, I realized if I am going to use a computer with the 6400M it was not going to be that one.

I disconnected and removed the computer which was about 3 inches from the rig then I removed the power brick and cords which fed that computer and it went into the drawer of collectable stuff which I currently have no use for.

Well this morning when I hooked up my Heil Proset I noticed the 40m base noiseline was almost flat! Just a very very slight ripple yet. So apparently it was the power supply brick providing power to the computer I removed which was causing the sine wave.

Now all I need to do is find what is causing the remaining slight ripple on 40m.

I have soooo many wall warts and stuff connected all around my desk plugged into at least 3-4 power strips so it could be any one of them, another project for another day I guess ... so much to do and so little time, and the xyl says I cant retire for another 10 years!!!!

Comments

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.