Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Help me understand the Flex-6400 receiver

N8FNR
N8FNR Member ✭✭
First off let me state that I have a 6400 on order, 7/10/2017.

The 6400 has two independent receivers. My take from reading the spec sheet is that one can listen to any two bands at once and each panafall can display a a bandwidth of up two 7Mhz. Is this correct?

Thanks
Zack N8FNR

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    Each radio has panadapter and slice "resources".  The FLEX-6400 has 2 slice and 2 panadapter resources.  They can all be used at the same time and on whatever frequency you want (within 100 kHz to 65 MHz).

For example, you can have two panadapters open with two slice receivers in one panadapter and none in the other panadapter.   This configuration would be good for working split and monitiring a different band for activity.

Or you can have one slice receiver in each panadapter and work two bands while using digital mode software like WSJT-X.

And yes, each panadapter can show up to 7 MHz of spectrum at a time.  The can overlap too, as the resources are independent.
  • N8FNR
    N8FNR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Tim. Looking forward to the rig!
  • N8FNR
    N8FNR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    But I can only use one antenna at any given time, correct?
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The slice receivers on the 6400M must use the same receive antenna, however you can assign 1 of the slice receivers a different transmit antenna then the other one then by pressing the TX on your desired slice receiver you can choose which to use for tramsmitting based upon the frequency set in the selected slice receiver.
  • David Okay Patton
    David Okay Patton Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Why must the two panadapters use the same antenna?  I would love to have one of the panadapters on 6m and the other on an HF band, but it doesn't work well at all, since I'm using two different antennas? Is this a software hardware limitation?  Only disappointment I've had with the 6400.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Your radio has one SCU.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Because the 6400 only has one ADC. The ADC is what takes the RF and converts to digital. The 6600 has two ADCs so it can listen to two different bands on two different antennas. Dave wo2x
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Tim I keep seeing you say the frequency range on the 6400M is up to 65 Mhz however I don't seem to be able to tune the vfo up that far, is there something I am doing wrong?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    You are doing nothing wrong. That was a  typo on my part. It is up to 55 Mhz.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Blame it on the bad shoulder :-)
  • David Okay Patton
    David Okay Patton Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Thanks Bill and David. Your replies make sense.  While I'd like that extra Flex-a-bility to monitor both antenna ports simultaneously, cost is a big consideration: the 6400 is still my best option.  After some experimenting last night, I realized I could use my HF antenna to at monitor the 6 m band, I just needed to increase the gain a bit. 
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    "I have a 6400 on order, 7/10/2017." ???  You mean 2018 some time?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.