Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Have any 6400M radios actually shipped yet?

Tim, VK6EI
Tim, VK6EI Member ✭✭
Wondering if anyone can confirm if any 6400M radios have actually shipped out yet? If not are we any closer to them being shipped? Being AUD$5000 in the hole with nothing to show for it is getting rather frustrating. Tim, VK6EI.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2019
    We have shipped a limited number of FLEX-6400(M) and FLEX-6600(M) radios to beta testers for finalizing the software and testing multiple operating use cases.  Volume shipments should start shortly.

Every day we are closer to volume shipments.
  • K7QDX
    K7QDX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Okay what is a difference between Alpha and Beta testers? I do know what Alpha Beta super markets were..  
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Alpha testers get things well before they are close to being ready for General Availability..  They are willing to live with things getting broken because of bugs in new software and sometimes even having to ship back bricked radios to the factory because of software or hardware issues.

Beta Tester get products pretty close to being General Availability.  So the radios work close to 100% They try different use cases to see if they can break the radios as opposed to the new software breaking the radios,

• K7QDX
    K7QDX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Howard, I was just thinking they were the same but I guess not. Just like you say, Pop or Soda or Coke etc... Glad to see its stilling inching closer to the end.
  • Tim, VK6EI
    Tim, VK6EI Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Tim, I meant had Flex commenced shipping to the average Joe. I know the beta testers had them at the start of December . Having already been invoiced for the full purchase amount and handed over the full amount I do not think it an unreasonable expectation that the goods were going to be shipped shortly thereafter. Appears my expectation is set a little too high. Can you tell us with any degree of certainty if the units are going to ship within the next fortnight? Thanks again Tim, VK6EI..
  • FRED  W9TB
    FRED W9TB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    They are saying first week of February. When did U order Tim ? 
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Did you get an invoice to pay from FRS or was your prepayment because how your importer works? Curious as some of the overseas folks come across as frustrated at FRS when there are other folks involved. I know I’ve prepaid international purchases to lock in my effective exchange rate, to use up money in other currencies, or because it was the only way I could get the seller to sell to me. And every order I’ve placed internationally has an adventure, either arriving too quick or more likely taking several times longer than expected. Hard to even predict what happens. In the end I know I had to play the game, keep the faith, have patience and trust my gut feel if things got sideways. Life is an adventure when spare parts come quicker from Canada if you send them to the UK first, then stateside. Or when your entire household goods shipment is held up for six months by a series of events. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2018
    Tim.  If you have concerns regarding your order, I recommend that you contact Sales to discuss them.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I guess "shortly" is better than "soon" ????
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

For most big ticket items I tend us a freight forwarder. Despite my recent experience over the Christmas seasons with delays, the goods are usually quickly processed and the GST can be pre-paid. After that shipping is usually painless.

Tim VE6SH

• mike /k6mgk
    mike /k6mgk Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    for all who is waiting for the radios to ship, the first real sign will be on the home page, once FRS announces that SmartSDR v 2.1 has been released then the shipments will begin :-)
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2018
    True dat.
  • FRED  W9TB
    FRED W9TB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    John, I already tried that and didn't work.
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Funny Marc, 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2018
    That is misspelled.  It should read "Sipping Soon" ;-)
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I guess FRS are still in “Beta” with the coffee mugs working out the bugs with fluid dynamics and thermal transfer.
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    this that is now close to final design and general release now  
    but still need to fix typo before ship ;-)

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Great comment Tim, glad you haven't lost your sense of humor....
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    From this viewing angle i cant tell if the cup is half full or half empty ;-)

paul k3sf
  • Dave VE3VSM
    Dave VE3VSM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Either way, there's room for more coffee.
  • David Ford
    David Ford Member
    edited January 2018

Hi Tim (VK6EI), 

This is not in direct response to your original question about whether they've started shipping but it may help with expectations - I know I've been planning the arrival of my radio for sometime.

I'm in the queue for a 6400. When I asked about timelines the Australian rep in VK6 was quite helpful. I was advised that, subject to unforeseen circumstances, the new radios should start arriving on Australian shores sometime in March and that the 6400's are shipping with the 6600's as well as the M models.

You might be much further up the queue than me as I've only been asked for the deposit. 

Cheers, 
    Dave.
    VK4MZ.

• dr Depressor
    dr Depressor Member
    edited January 2018
    As I said several weeks ago they will be shipping quickly before Hamcation. I don't think it would look right at their booth with these new radios on display with no deliveries to show forr it. Wouldn't that be more upsetting for all of us waiting for this new radio. Here you are you just bought a radio more than seven months ago and can only see the prototype. It's like trying to get that full cup of coffee and getting your hand slapped.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.