Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Password chars on community account registration

Trying to register a community account, I entered an alphanumeric password first. The server didn't accept it, suggesting to add some symbols: "Acceptable symbols include ($, #, ^, & ....)". The "..." is commonly interpreted as "and other like that" so I  added the underscore (_). But the server rejected my password once again. It accepted the password only with the "$" but not with the "_".

Underscore is the very common symbol so if it is not allowed for a password, it is better to mention it explicitly in the hint.

Comments

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Furthermore, the inclusion of special characters and mixed case letters, is much weaker than one might think if the password is not long enough. Any hacker that is going to attempt a brute force breach will have included all of those special characters anyway. The REAL solution to password strength is length, regardless of the characters in use. Choose a phrase that is easy to remember like "flexradiosarethebomb".

A more thorough explanation here http://blog.globalknowledge.com/2017/07/12/password-complexity-youre-doing-it-wrong/

In any case, the ultimate solution is to eliminate passwords altogether. It would be very cutting edge for FRS to take a lead in this area and implement Trusona as an auth mechanism option on the SmartSDR login panel. Goodbye password!

• Eugene Muzychenko
    edited January 2018
    I know that. But in such case, the problem is proper server tuning, not a security issue. :)
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
    The Community software is a SaaS product we lease form GetSatisfaction.  You will need to address this concern with them
    https://getsatisfaction.com/corp/help-center/

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.