Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flexradio 6x00 and SPE 2K-FA - CAT PROBLEM

Options
Lorenzo Mendini
Lorenzo Mendini Member ✭✭
Hi, yesterday i have connected my new Flex 6300 and i have tried to connect also my SPE expert 2k-Fa. I have made a cable usig the pin 2,3,5 of the DB9 to 1,9,4 of DB15, i haven't made the jumper between RTS and CTS on DB9.
I have set the cat as Kenwood, 9600 in my 2K-FA but when i change the band on my Flex, the Amplifier don't change the band, i have altro tried to set CAT as FLEXRADIO but the results are the same.
Please anyone can tell me how to set the CAT port correctly in smartsdr CAT? in your opinion where is the error? many thanks

Answers

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The DB15 connector on the 6300 is not for CAT type output.  Actually it is a HD-15 VGA type connector (not used for VGA on the 6300).  Pin 1 is audio line in, pin 9 is +5 vdc, pin 4 is key in.
    You probably can use one of the USB connectors purchased from Flex if you need CAT control.
    Dont plug anything in the HD-15 connector anymore, you may damage the 6300.  
  • Dave Pease
    Dave Pease Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I used a USB to serial adapter plugged into back of 6300 and I have the cable drawings if you want me to email them to you with this concept.  Works like a champ!

Dave Pease, N5DA
  • Jay  K8CJY
    Jay K8CJY Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Same configuration here with a 6700 and it works perfectly.

Jay K8CJY
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The USB interface guide can be found here:  http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/

• kz1w
    kz1w Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Your cable adapter is correct per the USB cable guide but has a problem for my Maestro/2K-FA. The SPE now commands the power output of the Maestro and Po knob doesn't work.  Maestro tracks low/mid/high SPE power setting with 20/40/60 watts out.  Not useful.  SPE manual says do not connect the SPE TXD data line, only RXD into SPE.  This solved the Po problem but now SPE doesn't track CAT band commands.

Have you solved you problem and can track band changes with the SPE?

kz1w@arrl.net
  • Jay Adrick
    Jay Adrick Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Are you aware that you can program the desired drive levels for each of the 3 power ranges on the 2K-FA from either the amplifier front panel or from the Term_2K remote app used to control the 2K-FA?  Operating without power feedback from the amplifier is a good way to damage the 2K-FA by overdriving it.  The drive power levels can be set for each band and for each power level and are retained in the 2K-FA memory.

• marco rinaldi
    marco rinaldi Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Options
    hey both shall you kinly send to me some more details? same problem despite ftdi usb to serial plugged in. many thks

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Noticed that you selected Kenwood, did you try the Flex cat selection? If you don’t see Flex selection maybe the 2k-FA SW needs updating? Took me no longer then 5 min to set up cat between the 2K and my 6500, and works very reliably. I highly recommend using the USB for this connection.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.