Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

630 meter swr question ...

Gary L. Robinson
Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
Probably a dumb question but - will most hf swr bridges work somewhat accurately on 630 meters and class D amplifiers?

I am really looking forward to playing around on digital chats on 630 meters assuming I am OK'd by the powers that be through the plc database thingee I just filled out yesterday.  And of course when my 6400 shows up hihi

Answers

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Yes, me too. Filled out the form over a month ago when the website was posted by the ARRL. Still waiting to hear if I have clearance.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I think I heard someone saying, "if you don't hear from them, you are OK"
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    http://www.giangrandi.ch/electronics/lw-swr/lw-swr.shtml
    This one works well to get close to the correct impedance.
    I use an auto transformer to match from 50ohm feed to about 25ohms.
    In the shack I use a scope match.
    http://ve7sl.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/your-lf-stations-best-friend-scopematch.html
    Some SWR meters will work, give it a try.
    My LDG Z100 tunes on 630m.
    At the antenna I use a current meter or a simple field strength meter for fine tuning.
    For more serious work the Tecsun PL365 (CountryCom GP5) or PL360 have a very linear field strength meter in dBuV for far field measurements. 
    VK5AI and I have measured the antenna factor of the accessory external loopstick that it comes with at 20dBuV/m at 475kHz so add that to the measurement. The internal antenna is about 40dBuV/m.
    Andrew VK5CV
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

The Telepost LP100A manual shows several couplers that cover 630M.  They may be special order though.

Howard

• Gary L. Robinson
    edited November 2017
    This is off of the ARRL site (the first paragraph).  The last sentence says precisely what you heard.

The link to the complete article : http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-opens-630-and-2200-meter-bands-stations-must-notify-utc-before-operatin...

09/15/2017

The FCC has announced that the Office of Management and Budget has approved, for 3 years, the information-collection requirement of the Commission’s March 29 Report and Order (R&O) that spelled out Amateur Radio service rules for the two new bands — 630 meters and 2200 meters. Notice of the action appears in today’s edition of the Federal Register. Before using either band, stations must notify the Utilities Technology Council (UTC), formerly the Utilities Telecom Council, that they plan to do so, and if UTC does not respond within 30 days, they may commence operation.

• Gary L. Robinson
    edited November 2017
    Thanks Andrew!  That tells me several ways to approach the SWR question. 

I am really excited and interested in running Olivia (narrow band configurations) and related digital modes and will be working on antennas + amplifier this coming spring.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017

I'll bet that someone could take apart an old Heathkit SWR meter, do a few mods, add
    a FET or two maybe, and a battery.  Might get meaningful SWR out of it.  Maybe not good
    power readings as would the LP product, but SWR nevertheless.

Ned,  K1NJ

• John AE5X
    John AE5X Member
    edited November 2017
    I'd suggest an antenna analyzer such as the FA-VA4. It will tell you what you need to know to operate and will help you get a 630m antenna built with a proper loading coil.

Many 630m ops are also using a ScopeMatch:
    http://ve7sl.blogspot.com/2014/08/your-lf-stations-best-friend-scopematch_5.html

I used my F6300 last night on 630m WSPR with a G0MRF 300W amp kit running 40 watts (2 watts ERP) and the combo performed splendidly. Details on my blog for whoever's interested.

John AE5X
    https://ae5x.blogspot.com/
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Recent posts on the LP500 Yahoo group below.  Looks like the LP500/700 and LP100 should be fine on 630M using the stock HF couplers.

Howard

-------------------

Larry,

Do you have any data on the usability / accuracy of the LP-500 and LPC-501 coupler on 630M (475kHz+-)? Likewise for the LP-100 and LPC1 coupler on 630M?  Several of us with these meters are constructing amps for 630M and would like to have a usable watt meter.
    ---
    Chuck, AE4CW

Yes. I have tested LPC501 down to 450 kHz, and it was accurate for both power and SWR. Measured insertion loss was 0.01 dB. These tests were at 10W output from an instrumentation amplifier, so I don't know about power handling, but I would guess it would be no problem unless the antenna is a piece of wet spaghetti ;-)

I checked an LPC1 and it was down 0.085 dB at 465 kHz, which is roughly 2%. The measured return loss at 475 kHz was 33 dB, and insertion loss was 0.08 dB. The insertion loss is higher on the LPC501 because it uses a transformer across the load to measure voltage, and the transformer has shunt inductive reactance, of course. The LPC501 uses a capacitive divider. I should point out that we have a number of special couplers available for LP-100A for frequencies down to 40 kHz. These are normally used for industrial applications.

Larry N8LP

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.