Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartLink for remote SO2R

Options
Matt NQ6N
Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hello everyone. I have pre-ordered a 6600 and I'm looking forward to getting it set up for remote SO2R operation.  

I'm wondering if anyone with a 6000 series transceiver with SmartLink enabled would be willing to let me log into it and test out my logger configuration, Winkeyer, SO2R keyboard shortcuts, audio routing, etc. 

I do not need to actually transmit, so the setup could be dialed down to 0 Watts, etc. I just want to verify that I have all of the client side software set up properly and can hear RX audio, sidetone, switch "radios", etc.  

I expect this would take 30-60 minutes and I could probably do it unattended if that were more convenient. I'll have read all of the relevant documentation in advance. 

Matt NQ6N

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Hi Matt. Contact me privately offline. I may be able to help you. I have a 6700 but antennas are not fully configured for SO2R yet, just some are. But if you want to do a config check, I can let you log in.
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Thanks much for the great demo, Ria. 

For anyone else reading along, I logged into Ria's 6700 and tested all of the OTRSP workflows, CW keying, SO2R keystrokes in N1MM, and it all worked beautifully.

I was able to get it all working on my PC without any trouble and without reading any documentation.  Once I got the hang of how the SmartSDR CAT software works I was pleasantly surprised by how sensible and modular the configuration approach is.  Very cleverly designed.

Things I especially liked: 

- Latency was minimal (100ms or so), it felt like the hardware was in the same room. No noticeable jitter or glitching of the audio or the waterfall.  I was extremely pleasantly surprised and impressed to experience this. 

- I ran European stations for a while on 40m and listened to my transmitted signal via my own remote K3 setup. The keying was perfect and the signal sounded superb.  

- During my CQs I'd listen to the VP5M pileup on 80m.  OTRSP switching was smooth and the audio sounded great. 

- I kept having to re-orient my brain to remember that I was operating a remote station. It really did not feel that way. 

The only thing I was not able to get set up was a paddle, and I found out that this is because it's supported only via the Maestro at present.  I've had some promising results with the RCForb paddle connection via serial port pins and local sidetone, in case anyone at FlexRadio would like more info on how it works. 

I am extremely impressed. SmartLink SO2R on CW feels like a cohesive and solid system that is ready for CW SO2R out of the box.  Even more impressive is seeing it work that well via residential internet connections 900 miles apart.  

Many thanks to Ria for graciously taking the time to let me log in and test out the work flows and functionality that I'm most looking forward to.

Matt NQ6N 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.