Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

monitor goes blank on transmit

Salty Z
Salty Z Member ✭✭
flex 6300 FT8 on WIN10 ON Transmit or autotune the monitor goes blank(off) and the picture only returns after the transmission is over
samsung cf791 works otherwise well; have changed the settings in windows playback without effect
Any ideas about this?

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017

Possibility RF is getting into your radio. Try the same by reducing your power substantially.

Jim, K6QE

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Honestly sounds like you have a monitor that is suceptable to RF.
    Two things Salty.
    I suggest installing snap-on toroids on the video cable possibly the power cable as well.
    Second you might want to try a different monitor.

Personally I install toroids on everything whether I need it or not, having lower close antennas and high power I error on the side of prevention. Call me paranoid.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Ok so I just took a look, nice monitor. That would be a shame so try getting physical separation between the transmitter, feedline and monitor. Make sure your coax doesn't cross over the monitor cable.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    How is your monitor fed, i.e., is it HDMI, VGA, or digital?  I would try to change the cable first and then change the video mode if that doesn't work.  VGA cables are very susceptible to RF, which is why many of them have ferrites built in.  You may want to try one of those.

You may also want to look at your station grounding.  Is everything grounded to a central point?  Solving the problem at the source is always good if you can.

If you have one, you may want to try a different monitor just to see if the problem persists.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    YES sound like RFI in the Shack here is a great reference every one on HF should have this PDF handy.

https://shure.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/82797/0/filename/RFI-Ham.pdf

73's

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I will add my opinion to the consensus and mention that when I first got my rig and was anxious to get on the air, I operated without an RF ground.  On many frequencies everything was fine, but on some, my monitors went snowy.  
    73, Bob WK2Y
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    66 pages of golden information. Met Jim Brown at a W9DXCC many years ago. Made me a believer. Mr Brown has devoted so much time to common mode issues. WX7Y thanks for the reminder and link. I keep this pdf on my desktop.
  • Salty Z
    Salty Z Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    The problem was solved after I deleted both wjst and ssdr and reloaded. I thought it might be corrupted drivers interfering with the monitor.
    I appreciate all your suggestions and will follow all these as well
    Thanks
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Now that's a new one for the books. Thank you for updating Salty. Making a mental note of this one for future reference.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.