Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Meandering Line "Square Wave Beverage" Antenna for 160 meters?



  • arodland
    arodland Member ✭✭

    The reason this doesn't work is because the "electrical length" of a Beverage doesn't really matter. It's not a resonant antenna, it's a travelling-wave antenna. It develops signal from the difference in the way the signal propagates in the lossy ground, and in the air just above it. *Considered as a resonant monopole or half a dipole*, zigzagging adds some inductance and lowers resonant frequency in a way that's useful (but mostly if you're constrained to a 2D PCB design, otherwise you'd do better by just adding some loading coils), but *considered as a Beverage*, it just means that only 10% of your wire contributes to reception, while the other 90% only contributes to losses. So it should mostly act like a very short Beverage, but degraded by extra wire loss. The added inductance is probably counterproductive, too.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.